This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A handful of water fountains were shut down at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) on Tuesday after six passengers on a Frontier Airlines flight fell ill while on board the plane.
The passengers, heading to Tampa (TPA) on Frontier Flight 1397, were not traveling as a group but all began throwing up by the time the plane landed in Florida, a spokesperson for the Tampa airport told CNN. Health officials reportedly boarded the plane when it landed and removed the sick passengers. The other passengers were left on the plane for about an hour.
“Once our medical team determined the passengers weren’t contagious, everyone was released from the plane and the airport,” TPA Vice President of Communications Janet Scherberger told TPG in an email. “No one was transported from the airport to local hospitals.”
Authorities at the Cleveland airport think the passengers’ illnesses could possibly be linked to airport water fountains. All the water fountains in the Frontier concourse at CLE have been shut down as a precaution while officials investigate the matter, USA Today reports. The fountains will remain closed until tests can be completed.
Requests for comment from Frontier and Cleveland airport were both unreturned by time of publication.
A similar situation occurred in September 2018 when at least a dozen passengers contracted flu-like symptoms on two flights into New York (JFK) and Philadelphia (PHL) and the planes had to be quarantined.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees