Water Fountains Shut Down at Cleveland Airport After 6 Passengers Fall Sick on Frontier Flight
A handful of water fountains were shut down at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) on Tuesday after six passengers on a Frontier Airlines flight fell ill while on board the plane.
The passengers, heading to Tampa (TPA) on Frontier Flight 1397, were not traveling as a group but all began throwing up by the time the plane landed in Florida, a spokesperson for the Tampa airport told CNN. Health officials reportedly boarded the plane when it landed and removed the sick passengers. The other passengers were left on the plane for about an hour.
“Once our medical team determined the passengers weren’t contagious, everyone was released from the plane and the airport,” TPA Vice President of Communications Janet Scherberger told TPG in an email. “No one was transported from the airport to local hospitals.”
Authorities at the Cleveland airport think the passengers’ illnesses could possibly be linked to airport water fountains. All the water fountains in the Frontier concourse at CLE have been shut down as a precaution while officials investigate the matter, USA Today reports. The fountains will remain closed until tests can be completed.
Requests for comment from Frontier and Cleveland airport were both unreturned by time of publication.
A similar situation occurred in September 2018 when at least a dozen passengers contracted flu-like symptoms on two flights into New York (JFK) and Philadelphia (PHL) and the planes had to be quarantined.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees