A weekend at a Waldorf resort for $25 — reader success story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Daniel, who stacked credit card benefits for a discounted stay in Palm Springs:
I am an Air Force pilot, so travel and planes are a few of my favorite things in this world. While on my most recent deployment, I had plenty of time to plan a getaway for me and my wife. I had applied for the The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card on my last deployment, and my free weekend night had finally arrived. I planned to combine the free night with the $250 resort credit to book a cheap weekend away. We decided to go to Palm Springs and relax at La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. Stacking the free night and resort credit was great, but it got even better with some luck from Amex Offers, which had a deal for $70 back after spending $350 at a Waldorf or Conrad property.
The two-night stay with breakfast would normally cost over $400 after the free night. I received my $250 resort credit, $70 Amex Offers credit, and complimentary $60 breakfast (thanks to Hilton Diamond status), totaling $380 in savings. I put everything on my Hilton Aspire card to earn 54 points per dollar (with Hilton’s current points promotion). In total, I spent $25 for a weekend at one of the top properties in Palm Springs. I also netted 22,870 Hilton points (with 1,000 bonus points as a welcome amenity) worth about $137 according to TPG’s valuations. It feels like Hilton and Amex paid us for a vacation!
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
My favorite feature of Amex Offers is that they stack with other savings and rewards like store coupons, shopping portal bonuses and statement credits. Once you activate an offer in your account, it applies automatically when you use your card to make qualifying purchases, so redeeming takes little effort. Since Daniel already had plans to stay at a Waldorf Astoria property, his $70 discount was easy money. You won’t always find such serendipitous deals — I skip most of my offers either because they don’t interest me or the timing isn’t right — but it’s worth browsing your list periodically to see what’s available and add any that might be useful.
A variety of cards come with statement credits for travel purchases, but while those credits have clear value, I caution you not to think of the purchases they cover as “free.” It’s more apt to consider benefits like the Hilton Aspire resort credit and $250 annual airline fee credit as offsets to the card’s annual fee. When you redeem them, you recoup some of what you paid up front to be a cardholder; assuming the qualifying purchases are ones you would have made anyway, the credits effectively lower your cost to have the card. If you can reliably use both credits without spending money you didn’t already plan to spend, then you’re getting a positive return on the card even without accounting for the remaining benefits.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Daniel a gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes. If your story is published, we’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure. Due to the volume of submissions, we can’t respond to each story individually, but we’ll be in touch if yours is selected.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured photo of Palm Springs by halbergman/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees