Virgin Atlantic Set to Launch Flights to São Paulo, Brazil
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic is set to take its operations to a new continent. The UK carrier announced on Wednesday that it’s going to launch nonstop flights between London Heathrow (LHR) and São Paulo, Brazil (GRU), beginning in 2020.
The new route is Virgin’s first to South America and will feature daily service on board one of the carrier’s Boeing 787-9 aircraft. Virgin’s Dreamliners feature a three-cabin configuration: 31 Upper Class, 35 Premium and 192 economy.
Virgin’s hoping to capitalize on Brazil as both a business and leisure destination.
“São Paulo represents an incredible opportunity for business, and we’re very excited to be flying to a brand new continent for the first time,” said Juha Jarvinen, Virgin Atlantic’s executive vice president — commercial.
Although an exact launch date hasn’t yet been set for the new route, Virgin did say that it’ll be a daily, year-round service, set to begin sometime in 2020. The LHR-GRU leg is expected to take approximately 11 hours and 55 minutes.
The new route and first foray into South America falls into Virgin’s optimistic growth plan. In February, the carrier announced that it was set to begin nonstop flights from London to Tel Aviv, Israel, beginning September 2019.
Virgin is set to take delivery of its first Airbus A350-1000 aircraft later this year. That aircraft will feature the carrier’s latest Upper Class product, though details on what that will look like have yet to be revealed. However, passengers hoping to fly on this route should not expect the new Upper Class product, as it won’t be retrofitted on Dreamliners in the fleet.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees