Virgin Atlantic Ditches Its Flying Lady Icon for New Faces
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Say farewell to the Flying Lady of Virgin Atlantic.
In honor of the airline’s recent commitment to a 50/50 gender balance in leadership by 2022, Virgin is swapping out the Flying Lady for five new “Flying Icons” on its brand-new A350-1000 fleet. The five new faces, men and women, are meant to represent the diversity of modern Britain, and will debut on four A350-1000s this year, followed by an additional eight in 2021.
The concept for Virgin’s original Flying Lady came from the figureheads that have decorated ships since the 1600s, with the artistic inspiration drawn from pin-up girl styles popular in the 1930s and 1940s.
Virgin Atlantic publicly pledged to address its gender pay gap and increase diversity and inclusion across the airline, aiming for a 50/50 gender balance in leadership roles, and a minimum of 12 percent black, Asian and minority ethnic group representation throughout the company by 2022.
The airline has made other public affirmations of its stance on diversity in recent months. Back in October, Virgin Atlantic announced its inaugural “Pride Flight” from London to New York, a nonstop “celebration of queer culture 38,000 feet above the Atlantic.” And in January, the airline relaxed its uniform policy for female flight attendants by including both trouser and skirt options in their uniforms instead of defaulting to skirts. Virgin flight attendants now also no longer need to wear makeup while on duty.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Atlantic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.