Virgin Atlantic delays Airbus A340 retirement due to Boeing 787 parts shortage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic’s five Airbus A340-600s won’t be exiting the airline’s fleet at the end of October after all. According to Flightglobal, Virgin Atlantic is being forced to prolong Airbus A340 operations as a result of a parts shortage involving the A340’s replacement, the Boeing 787.
The Airbus A340-600 was originally slated to operate its final flight at Virgin Atlantic on October 26. Now, that date has been pushed back two months, according to Philip Meher, Virgin Atlantic’s executive vice president of operations.
The part impacted by the shortage is the Trent 1000 engine, needed for Virgin Atlantic’s fleet of Boeing 787s. Flightglobal reports that a catastrophic engine failure that impacted a Norwegian Air Boeing 787-8 following takeoff from Rome-Fiumicino in August has “temporarily affected the availability” of the engines as the incident “caused a number of engines to come out of the pool of engines to support Norwegian.”
Virgin Atlantic will continue to operate the Airbus A340 on flights between its hub at London-Heathrow (LHR) and New York-Kennedy (JFK) through mid-December based on the airline’s latest schedule. Upon the A340’s retirement, Virgin Atlantic will operate a fleet consisting of the Airbus A330, Airbus A350, Boeing 747, and the Boeing 787.
Featured image by Loop Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees