Virgin Atlantic set to relaunch service to Cape Town
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic is set to expand its reach in Africa. On Wednesday, the U.K.-based airline announced that it was returning to Cape Town, South Africa.
As of Oct. 25, 2020, the carrier will operate daily service to Cape Town International Airport (CPT) from London Heathrow (LHR). The carrier will use one of its Boeing 787-9 aircraft to operate the route.
Well, everyone deserves a choice. So you’ve persuaded us. We’re coming back to Cape Town! *Blows vuvuzela* Flights start on 25th October 2020 and you can book your seat from 18th February: https://t.co/OXmAGfWGH5 ???????? pic.twitter.com/vcRsqTVGLs
— Virgin Atlantic (@VirginAtlantic) February 12, 2020
Once the route launches, it will operate on the following daily schedule:
- VS478 London Heathrow (LHR) 4:20 p.m. Departure ⇒ Cape Town (CPT) 5:55 a.m. (+1) Arrival
- VS479 Cape Town (CPT) 8 a.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 6 p.m. Arrival
The Cape Town relaunch complements Virgin Atlantic’s existing route between London Heathrow and Johannesburg (JNB). On that route, the airline utilizes one of its new Airbus A350 aircraft, which feature the new Upper Class Suite.
“We’re delighted to be flying to Cape Town again, and we’re expecting a high proportion of leisure travellers on this route, taking advantage of the winter sun, the safaris and of course, the world-famous wine region,” Virgin’s Chief Commercial Officer Juha Jarvinen said in a statement.
Tickets for the new Cape Town route will go on sale on Feb. 18. Return economy fares are set to start from £713 (about $924) per person.
Virgin previously operated nonstop service to the popular holiday destination of Cape Town. It launched the service in 1999, however, in 2014, the carrier announced it would be discontinuing the route, as it found it to be unprofitable.
During that time, Virgin said it was placing an emphasis on its routes to America. However, since then, the carrier has expanded drastically outside the U.S. as well. Recently, it’s launched flights to Sao Paulo (GRU), Mumbai (BOM) and now Cape Town (CPT).
Featured photo by Johannes Mann/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.