Virgin Atlantic set to relaunch service to Cape Town
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic is set to expand its reach in Africa. On Wednesday, the U.K.-based airline announced that it was returning to Cape Town, South Africa.
As of Oct. 25, 2020, the carrier will operate daily service to Cape Town International Airport (CPT) from London Heathrow (LHR). The carrier will use one of its Boeing 787-9 aircraft to operate the route.
Well, everyone deserves a choice. So you’ve persuaded us. We’re coming back to Cape Town! *Blows vuvuzela* Flights start on 25th October 2020 and you can book your seat from 18th February: https://t.co/OXmAGfWGH5 ???????? pic.twitter.com/vcRsqTVGLs
— Virgin Atlantic (@VirginAtlantic) February 12, 2020
Once the route launches, it will operate on the following daily schedule:
- VS478 London Heathrow (LHR) 4:20 p.m. Departure ⇒ Cape Town (CPT) 5:55 a.m. (+1) Arrival
- VS479 Cape Town (CPT) 8 a.m. Departure ⇒ London Heathrow (LHR) 6 p.m. Arrival
The Cape Town relaunch complements Virgin Atlantic’s existing route between London Heathrow and Johannesburg (JNB). On that route, the airline utilizes one of its new Airbus A350 aircraft, which feature the new Upper Class Suite.
“We’re delighted to be flying to Cape Town again, and we’re expecting a high proportion of leisure travellers on this route, taking advantage of the winter sun, the safaris and of course, the world-famous wine region,” Virgin’s Chief Commercial Officer Juha Jarvinen said in a statement.
Tickets for the new Cape Town route will go on sale on Feb. 18. Return economy fares are set to start from £713 (about $924) per person.
Virgin previously operated nonstop service to the popular holiday destination of Cape Town. It launched the service in 1999, however, in 2014, the carrier announced it would be discontinuing the route, as it found it to be unprofitable.
During that time, Virgin said it was placing an emphasis on its routes to America. However, since then, the carrier has expanded drastically outside the U.S. as well. Recently, it’s launched flights to Sao Paulo (GRU), Mumbai (BOM) and now Cape Town (CPT).
Featured photo by Johannes Mann/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees