Virgin America’s Colors Just Went Away Forever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The last plane sporting the Virgin America livery is being repainted in Alaska Airlines colors, marking the final disappearance of the airline’s colors. Virgin America, founded in 2004, was bought by Alaska in 2016 and flew under its own brand until last year, but some of its aircraft had been left in their original colors.
The last aircraft in Alaska Airlines’ fleet painted in the Virgin America livery is currently at Victorville-Southern California Logistics Airport (VCV), where it will be painted in Alaska Air’s livery.
The final aircraft to feature the Virgin America livery is an Airbus A321neo bearing the registration N922VA. The aircraft was delivered in May 2017, originally operating transcontinental flights for Virgin America. The aircraft has since been incorporated into the Alaska Airlines fleet and no longer is used solely on transcontinental flights.
N922VA is seen in the image below landing at JFK in June 2017, arriving from San Francisco.Photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Virgin America’s livery was inspired by that of Virgin Atlantic. Founded by Virgin Group’s Sir Richard Branson, the airline featured a color scheme and fuselage titles nearly identical to Virgin Atlantic’s, but distinguished by elements like the American flag on the winglets at the end of its planes’ wings.
For the past three years, Alaska Airlines had been in the process of repainting all of Virgin America’s aircraft in its own colors.
Though Alaska Air has borrowed certain aspects of the Virgin America brand including fresher and healthier in-flight meals, brighter and more emphasized mood lighting, and newer lounges, most of the Virgin America brand has been retired. Following Virgin America’s final flight, Alaska Airlines was quick to remove Virgin America signage and integrate aircraft and crew into Alaska Air.
When the final aircraft to feature the red and white livery exits the hangar in Victorville, the only remaining signs of the defunct airline will be aboard former Virgin America aircraft that have not yet been retrofitted with Alaska Air’s new cabin.
Alaska Airlines plans on completing the process of retrofitting the cabins of those ex-Virgin Airbuses by early next year, giving Virgin America enthusiasts a little over six months to take in one last “breath of fresh airline,” as a 2011 advertising campaign said.
Featured image by Scott Varley/Digital First Media/Torrance Daily Breeze via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.