Watch as we go behind the scenes on board the final Virgin Atlantic 747 at Heathrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in December 2020, TPG Content Producer Dan Ross and I were invited on board the final Virgin Atlantic 747 before she left the airline for good. At almost 20 years old, G-VROY, also known as Pretty Woman, made her departure from the Virgin Atlantic fleet, destined for a new life with a new, undisclosed lessor.
But in true Virgin style, the airline wasn’t going to let her go without a proper send-off.
Virgin Atlantic invited press and some lucky members of the public to say their final goodbyes to the last superjumbo in the fleet — including a celebratory Champagne breakfast. But far more exciting for an AvGeek was the opportunity to explore every nook and cranny of the Queen of the Skies and even have our photograph taken in one of the beautiful GE CF6 engines.
You can watch the fascinating behind-the-scenes video from the day here:
As a result of the coronavirus pandemic, Virgin Atlantic was forced to rethink its fleet in order to conserve cash and reduce expenses. Its remaining Boeing 747 fleet was accelerated into retirement. Now, the airline operates a fleet of just Airbus A330, Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 aircraft.
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees