18 creative ways to use Amex Platinum’s monthly $30 PayPal credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new information.
At the start of 2021, American Express unveiled a new temporary perk for The Platinum Card® from American Express cardmembers: an up to $30 monthly PayPal credit. Amex will automatically issue these monthly statement credits for eligible PayPal purchases that post until June 30, 2021. This means you have just two more months to take advantage of up to $60 in remaining credit.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Most cardmembers will be able to use this new PayPal credit at face value and get the full $30 in value out of it. So, today I’ll consider how to use the new monthly $30 PayPal credit currently available to Amex Platinum cardmembers.
How to use the $30 monthly PayPal credit
A monthly PayPal credit may seem difficult to use if you aren’t already a regular user of the service. But it’s actually quite easy. And, as I’ll discuss in the next section, you’ll likely be able to use the credit to cover one or more expenses you already incur each month.
To use the new PayPal credit, you must pay via PayPal with your Amex Platinum card at checkout. Amex’s page on the PayPal credit recommends setting up your PayPal account as follows before you start to make a purchase:
- Create or log in to your PayPal account
- Go to Account Settings and select “Banks and Cards”
- Follow prompts to add a new card to your PayPal Wallet
- Add your Amex Platinum Card
- For the most seamless checkout experience, set your Amex Platinum Card as your preferred method of payment
Next, you need to find a merchant that allows you to pay via PayPal at checkout. Luckily, many online retailers allow you to pay via PayPal, including Target, Walmart, Home Depot and Walgreens. For example, here’s what it looks like for a Walmart purchase:
When checking out at Walmart, you’d need to click on the PayPal button, log in to your PayPal account and then select your Amex Platinum Card under the “Pay With” section. Alternatively, if you didn’t add your Amex Platinum Card to your PayPal Wallet ahead of time, you can click on “Add debit or credit card” at this point.
If you have additional authorized users on your Amex Platinum account, PayPal charges made on the authorized user cards will count. However, authorized users don’t get their own $30 monthly credit. So, their purchases will count toward your $30 credit each month.
Additionally, only purchases made in U.S. dollars at U.S. merchants with a U.S. PayPal account are eligible. Person-to-person payments won’t trigger a statement credit.
18 ways to use the $30 monthly PayPal credit
The best way to maximize the $30 monthly PayPal credit may be to use it to cover one or more expenses you’re already incurring. Or, you can use your $30 PayPal credit to treat yourself to something you normally wouldn’t purchase. Or, you could use it as a pain-free way to help someone else. We asked current cardholders and TPG staff to share how they maximized their credit:
- Making a monthly charity donation
- Combine with the Saks Fifth Avenue credit for $80 in goodies
- Monthly subscriptions that cost $30 or more, such as a newspaper, Straight To The Points Premium membership for premium award cabin alerts or even a kids yoga membership
- Stocking up on essentials at Walmart or Target
- Paying taxes through PayUSAtax (note there is a fee to pay your taxes with a debit or credit card)
- Monthly streaming service fees
- Ordering food through delivery apps
- An Uber ride across the city
- Buying items through eBay and Etsy
- Ordering photos through Shutterfly
- Clothing from JCPenney
- Reloading Starbucks cards
- Furniture from Wayfair
- Buying gas through select gas apps
- Home improvement purchases from Home Depot or Ace Hardware
- Ordering pizza through Domino’s
- Medication through Express Scripts
- Utilities such as power, internet and gas in some regions
And if you don’t need or want to use it on yourself, you can help a charity that accepts PayPal. TPG reporter Chris Dong said, “I use it every month now to support a different friend’s charity fundraiser.”
You’ll likely find many opportunities to use the temporary PayPal credit once you start looking for merchants that accept PayPal. But, if you need more ideas, check the full list on PayPal’s website. However, remember that using your Amex Platinum for these purchases isn’t enough. Instead, you must pay via PayPal with your American Express Platinum card at checkout.
If you have any doubts about whether your purchase will trigger a statement credit, I recommend making your purchase early in the month and then watching for the statement credit. Reports show that the pending charge will initially list the merchant name. However, once the charge posts, the transaction will indicate payment via PayPal. Most cardholders report Amex posted their statement credit within a few days of their purchase posting.
Once you realize how many merchants allow payment via PayPal, you should have no trouble using Amex Platinum‘s temporary $30 per month PayPal statement credit. Best case, you’ll be able to use this credit to pay for expenses you’d already be incurring — or you can even use it as an easy way to help someone else via a charity donation.
Even if you can’t think of anything to buy with your monthly credit, you still have options. For example, you could reload a Starbucks card or order food delivery. In short, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be getting $30 of value from this temporary perk that will stick around for two more months.
Additional reporting by Stella Shon.
Featured image by Cavan Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees