US Travel Association urges repeal of inbound testing requirements
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Travel Association sent an open letter to the Biden administration yesterday urging an end to the COVID-19 testing requirement for inbound vaccinated air travelers.
For more news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
USTA — a lobbying group made up of 1,100 travel industry members, including airlines, airports, hotels, theme parks and tourism groups — sent the letter to Dr. Ashish Jha, the national coronavirus response coordinator, encouraging him to “immediately remove” the testing requirement. USTA says the requirement is no longer needed due to “the wide range of public health tools to effectively manage COVID-19.”
Airlines for America, an airline-focused trade association, sent a separate letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra and the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rochelle Walensky.
Related: No sign of U.S. ending testing rules
Citing current business travel spending numbers, which are down 56% from 2019 levels, and a significant drop in international travel spending, which is 78% below 2019 figures, USTA and Airlines for America say the testing requirement is inhibiting international travel, resulting in high economic costs impacting their bottom line.
The USTA letter further justifies the removal of the testing requirement by noting that many other countries “with similar infection, vaccination and hospitalization rates” have removed the testing requirement, including Canada, Germany and the U.K. Additionally, the May 5 letter references the decision by the U.S. earlier this year to scrap testing requirements for people entering the U.S. via land borders.
Related: Canada ends testing requirements
The Points Guy conducted a recent survey showing that the U.S. inbound testing requirement is having a negative impact on outbound travel as well. More than half of survey respondents indicated they would be more likely to travel internationally if the testing requirement was removed. Many U.S. travelers are concerned that they may be prevented from returning home after testing positive while abroad, thus facing additional costs and scheduling headaches from being placed in quarantine, according to the survey.
The recent removal of mask requirements for domestic flights signals other potential changes may continue to come as the world attempts to create a “new normal” of living with COVID-19.
Nevertheless, the CDC travel requirement remains unchanged since it was last updated on January 27. It states that all inbound air passengers to the U.S. age 2 years and older “will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than one day before you travel by air into the United States.” Documentation of recent recovery from COVID-19 is also acceptable for entry.
Featured image by Christopher Occhicone/Bloomberg.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees