Deal alert: No passport needed for warm US beaches from $42 round trip nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This year, many countries that normally maintain open borders have restricted international travel due to the coronavirus pandemic. Fortunately, 2020 has proven to be a great time to fall back in love with domestic destinations, particularly ones that can be reached by car.
But if you aren’t the driving type, flights to beach cities may be just the ticket for you. With health safety protocols at an all-time high in commercial aviation, a quick weekend getaway for some Vitamin D might be in order before winter sets in. All of the destinations we searched don’t require passports from U.S. travelers, even if some destinations such as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Hawaii feel like exotic escapes.
The lowest fares we’ve found originate from Newark (EWR) and fly nonstop into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for just $43 round trip on Spirit, or $51 on United in basic economy — cheaper than a good steak after tax and tip.
Some of these fares book into basic economy, which means different things to different airlines, but often means you may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag. You probably also won’t be able to select your seat, get an upgrade or earn PQM/PQS/PQDs. Also, keep in mind that flights booked in basic economy may incur change fees despite many airlines eliminating most change fees on domestic and Caribbean/Mexico flights this summer. However, it’s possible to defeat some of basic economy’s negative aspects by having elite status or a cobranded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Not sure how to utilize Google Flights to its fullest? Check out our guide to booking flights like a pro.
Airline: American, United, Spirit, Volaris, VivaAerobus and more
Routes: EWR/IAH/JFK/DFW/ATL/ORD and more to FLL/MIA/SJU/SAN/STT/STX
Cost: from $42 round trip in basic economy
Dates: October 2020 — June 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
Newark (EWR) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) for $42 round trip nonstop on Spirit via Google, or $51 on United in basic economy:
Newark (EWR) to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) for $64 round trip nonstop on Spirit, or $67 on United in basic economy:
Chicago (ORD) to San Diego (SAN) for $96 nonstop round trip on American Airlines and United:
Dallas (DFW) to St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) for $164 round trip on Spirit:
Atlanta (ATL) to Key West (EYW) for $177 nonstop round trip on Delta:
San Francisco (SFO) to Maui (OGG) for $257 round trip nonstop in January on Hawaiian Airlines:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline)(starting Jan. 21, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by cdwheatley / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.