United Officially Ends Potential for Employee Lottery Bonus Through 2018
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United has officially killed its controversial plan to offer employees a lottery-style incentive after much backlash from employees.
In a memo sent to some 90,000 United employees, Vice President of Human Resources and Labor Relations Kate Gebo said that the airline’s existing quarterly operational incentives bonus program will remain as such for the rest of 2018.
The current bonus program rewards most United employees up to $300 per quarter when the airline hits its performance metrics. However, the proposed lottery aimed to take away that guarantee for qualifying employees. Instead, all qualifying United employees who had perfect attendance for that quarter would be entered into a lottery for a grand prize of $100,000, with 10 secondary prizes of either $40,000 cash or a Mercedes-Benz C-Class and 1,350 smaller prizes.
In all, the move to a lottery-based system was a cost-saving measure, slashing employee bonuses by tens of millions of dollars each year.
Employees immediately reacted to the negative change, venting their rage at management in internal United forums. Following the reaction, United soon switched to “pressing the pause button” on the incentive program. Now, we know that there will be no changes — at least through the remainder of 2018.
Gebo indicated in Tuesday’s memo that the decision to keep the old plan in place comes after more than 50 listening sessions around the United network. In addition, Gebo called the feedback the airline received from its employees “thoughtful, honest and passionate.” She continued: “When it comes to operational performance, you want to be rewarded as a team for what is truly a team accomplishment.”
On the other hand, Gebo said perfect attendance is an individual accomplishment and should be recognized by the airline separately.
Although the bonus plan will stay in place through 2018, there’s no guarantee that it will last beyond that. “Looking forward to 2019 and beyond, our goal is to ensure that you feel truly valued for your contributions to United’s ongoing success,” Gebo said.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees