United Testing Express ‘Sleeper Service’ on Select Polaris Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First-time business-class flyers typically want to be wined and dined, sampling the wines and partaking in each course in the hope of making the most of their premium-cabin redemption. But, for regulars, maximizing sleep is the top priority, especially on a short redeye from the East Coast to Europe.
With these road warriors in mind, a United Airlines representative told TPG, that the carrier will test beginning next month a new “sleeper service” on select flights to Europe. Polaris business-class customers flying from Washington Dulles (IAD) on transatlantic flights departing at or after 10:00pm will receive all of the usual food and beverage items, but with a speedier presentation.
First, a salad, appetizer, entree and bread will arrive on one tray shortly after takeoff. Then, dessert will be served after the main meal, but directly from the galley, rather than with the usual multi-tiered cart. The goal is for the meal service to wrap much more quickly, so passengers can maximize their sleep.
United will be testing this new service for the entire month of April, beginning this coming Monday, April 1. Flights featuring this include:
- UA126 Washington 10:00pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 10:00am Arrival
- UA924 Washington 10:15pm Departure → London (LHR) 10:30am Arrival
- UA932 Washington 10:20pm Departure → Frankfurt (FRA) 12:10pm Arrival
While flyers will receive the exact same menu items as they would on a normal flight, United’s planning to notify travelers of the service flow change in advance. If the test is a success, the carrier’s sleeper service could roll out to redeye flights around the world soon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.