United Testing Express ‘Sleeper Service’ on Select Polaris Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
First-time business-class flyers typically want to be wined and dined, sampling the wines and partaking in each course in the hope of making the most of their premium-cabin redemption. But, for regulars, maximizing sleep is the top priority, especially on a short redeye from the East Coast to Europe.
With these road warriors in mind, a United Airlines representative told TPG, that the carrier will test beginning next month a new “sleeper service” on select flights to Europe. Polaris business-class customers flying from Washington Dulles (IAD) on transatlantic flights departing at or after 10:00pm will receive all of the usual food and beverage items, but with a speedier presentation.
First, a salad, appetizer, entree and bread will arrive on one tray shortly after takeoff. Then, dessert will be served after the main meal, but directly from the galley, rather than with the usual multi-tiered cart. The goal is for the meal service to wrap much more quickly, so passengers can maximize their sleep.
United will be testing this new service for the entire month of April, beginning this coming Monday, April 1. Flights featuring this include:
- UA126 Washington 10:00pm Departure → Dublin (DUB) 10:00am Arrival
- UA924 Washington 10:15pm Departure → London (LHR) 10:30am Arrival
- UA932 Washington 10:20pm Departure → Frankfurt (FRA) 12:10pm Arrival
While flyers will receive the exact same menu items as they would on a normal flight, United’s planning to notify travelers of the service flow change in advance. If the test is a success, the carrier’s sleeper service could roll out to redeye flights around the world soon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees