United Is Adding Lie-Flat Seats on All Boston-LAX Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following a successful launch on the Boston (BOS) to San Francisco (SFO) route last year, United’s just confirmed plans to extend lie-flat service to all of its BOS to Los Angeles (LAX) flights as well.
Beginning October 29, the airline will add 757-200s to all BOS-LAX flights, replacing the 737s that operate on that route today. Premium-cabin service is still being marketed as first class, though that’s expected to change as United gets closer to launch.
As one of the airline’s premium routes, business-class passengers will receive multi-course international meals, just as they do on the BOS-SFO flights. Pillows and blankets will be available as well. JetBlue has offered Mint on this route since 2016, with lie-flat seats and private suites.
Seating will be identical on both flights between Boston and California, and since BOS-LAX is still being sold as first class, fares are a bit more reasonable — one-way tickets start at $509, for example, compared with $699 for the flights to San Francisco. I imagine fares will increase a bit once these flights switch over to biz, so consider booking now if you’d like to lock in a slightly lower price.
Unfortunately, the move to premium service isn’t good news for United elites — you won’t be eligible for complimentary upgrades to a lie-flat seat, so you’ll need to use a Regional Premier Upgrade certificate or miles as you do on Boston-SFO. Award rates will also increase — saver awards, assuming you can find them, will run 35,000 miles each way once the flights are coded as business class.
Economy Plus passengers will also benefit from the change, as they’ll receive the complimentary meals offered on BOS-SFO flights. Connectivity isn’t quite as speedy, though — these 757s also offer Panasonic Wi-Fi, which is far slower than the ViaSat connectivity available on the carrier’s 737 fleet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees