This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move to help restore its image after several public relations blunders, United Airlines announced on Thursday that it’s hired former Obama administration press secretary Josh Earnest as its senior vice president and chief communications officer.
At United, Earnest will be responsible for developing the company’s global communications strategy, leading a team that will executive the strategy and working closely with the company’s leadership to shape its public image. Earnest will be the company’s chief spokesman.
Once Earnest takes over the role on May 21, he will have replaced United’s former communications head Jim Olsen, who stepped down after just two years on the job. During Olsen’s time at the company, United’s public image was tattered by a number of incidents. Most notably, Olsen was at the helm during the infamous April 2017 Dr. David Dao dragging incident.
In the aftermath of the Dao incident, things didn’t improve much for United. Most recently, in March 2018, a dog was killed on board a United Airlines plane when a flight attendant required that the dog be stored in an overhead bin.
By bringing in Earnest, United’s clearly hoping to improve its tarnished image. Prior to coming to United, Earnest served from 2014 to 2016 as press secretary for President Barack Obama. Since his tenure at the White House ended in 2016, Earnest has since worked as a political analyst for NBC News and MSNBC.
“Josh is a proven leader and world-class communications strategist who has thrived when the stakes are the highest — and the margin for error is the smallest,” said United CEO Oscar Munoz.
Earnest and his family will relocate to Chicago this summer.
Featured image by NurPhoto / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees