Great news: United backtracks on strict no-change-fee policy restriction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has rescinded one of the major “gotchas” with its no-change-fee policy.
Effective immediately, flyers making ticket modifications can receive a travel credit when switching to less expensive flights. This is great news for travelers — until now, the residual value was forfeited when changing to a cheaper itinerary.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
United confirmed the change with TPG with the following statement,
To give our customers more flexibility and more time to use the value of their original ticket, United will provide customers with a credit when they rebook their flight and the new flight is less than the previous flight.
For now, this customer-friendly policy adjustment is available through the United call center (1-800-UNITED1) and the carrier’s mobile app. It’ll be available on the website “soon.”
United became the first of the Big 3 U.S. airlines to permanently eliminate change fees back in August. It didn’t take long for American and Delta (and other competitors) to match. Though United was the first mover, its no-change-fee policy was the only one with a major asterisk — you wouldn’t get future credit for switching to cheaper flights.
Though it’s unclear how many flyers lost money when making these changes, United told TPG that customers previously affected by this policy should reach out to the contact center to discuss if they are eligible to receive retroactive credit.
The credit received for switching to a cheaper flight can be combined with other credits, and is valid for travel on United and partners. It is non-transferable and the travel-by date is based on the rules of the original ticket. For any new ticket purchased after April 1, 2021, the credit will be valid for one year from the date the itinerary was purchased.
Going forward, I’ll have much more confidence in booking future United travel, knowing that I could always switch to a cheaper flight and receive the fare difference as a credit. I’ve been hesitant to book expensive UA tickets, fearful that I could lose a ton of value if I needed to cancel the trip.
United’s news pairs well with its recently extended global travel waiver. United’s permanent no-change-fee policy excludes basic economy tickets and select international fares too. With the global waiver, all basic economy tickets purchased by April 30, as well as international itineraries purchased by May 31, can be changed or canceled at any time.
This story has been updated to reflect that the credits received are non-transferable and expire one year from the date of original ticket issuance.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees