Register now: Complimentary IHG Platinum status for select United credit card holders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Savvy frequent travelers know that one of the best ways to get airport lounge access is through a credit card.
Take the United Club Infinite Card, for instance. This card’s most prominent perk is United Club membership, which includes access for you (and up to two guests to United Clubs and one guest to Star Alliance lounges) when flying United or a Star Alliance partner. Considering United Club membership costs up to $650 per year, this benefit alone makes up for the card’s $525 annual fee.
But Chase and United are upping the ante with even more perks. Starting today, you can now register for complimentary IHG Platinum status — a benefit that will last as long as your Club Infinite card remains active and in good standing.
This is in addition to the recently launched 10% mileage discount as well as bonus miles for signing up for Clear. The best part of all? All of this comes with no change to the card’s annual fee.
Here’s what you should know.
IHG status and a $75 credit
Starting today, the primary United Club Infinite cardholder is eligible for complimentary Platinum Elite status with IHG Rewards. Perks with this status level include complimentary room upgrades, extended checkout and bonus points on stays, among others.
REGISTER HERE: You must first register for this promotion on this landing page. After entering your details, note that your IHG Platinum status may not show up immediately. A Chase representative told TPG that it may take up to four weeks for your elevated status to kick in.
However, the benefit will last as long as you remain a United Club Infinite cardholder.
In addition, cardholders will receive a $75 in statement credit for IHG Hotels and Resorts purchases charged to the card this year, through Dec. 31.
10% mileage discount on awards
The primary United Club Infinite cardmember will also be able to book Economy Saver Awards on United flights within the continental U.S. and Canada for 10% fewer miles than awards available to the general public.
If you are a Club Infinite cardholder, you will see the mileage difference once logged in to your MileagePlus account. For example, a Saver Award may show as 5,000 miles when you are not signed in, but the same award will show as 4,500 miles if signed into your account.
This supplements the existing perk of access to expanded award availability for all United cobranded cardholders.
10,000 miles for signing up for Clear
United cobranded credit card holders are eligible for a $70 Clear credit already, but United Club Infinite cardholders will now also receive 10,000 bonus miles if they sign up for the service using their card before June 30, 2022.
Ten thousand United miles are worth $113, according to TPG valuations, so that’s not a bad return on signing up for a service that can save you time at the airport anyway.
Complimentary upgrades on awards for companions
United Club Infinite cardholders who are also MileagePlus Premier (elite) members were already eligible for upgrades when traveling on award tickets. The assignment of upgrades on award tickets is within each Premier level after the lowest paid fare class.
Now, however, the card has added the benefit of allowing one companion traveling on the same reservation on award tickets to be eligible for upgrades as well. This is, admittedly, a rather niche perk, but might save you from dirty stares for abandoning your travel companion in coach while you sit upfront if your upgrade comes through.
More Premier-qualifying points from spending
In 2022, United Club Infinite cardholders will be able to earn up to 4,000 Premier-qualifying points per calendar year. You earn 500 PQPs per $12,000 spent on your card. This is an increase in PQPs you can earn from spending, with a maximum of 3,000 in 2021 to 4,000 for 2022.
Of course, that will require a whopping $96,000 in spending to fully maximize, but still might be within reach for some.
The United Club Infinite already comes with excellent day-of-travel perks including two free checked bags, Premier Access (which includes priority access for check-in, security screening where available, boarding and baggage handling), 25% back on United inflight purchases, expanded award availability and more, not to mention its main benefit of United Club membership.
These additions are an incremental, but valuable, boost to its benefits that might just make this card enticing for some folks who were hesitant about opening it. And that’s all without a change to the card’s annual fee.
Featured photo of the InterContinental Maldives Maamunagau by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees