United Ramps up Regional Jet Stockpile With ExpressJet Purchase
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Give anything long enough, and history is apt to repeat itself — even in aviation. ExpressJet, once a subsidiary of Continental Airlines, is coming back home in a roundabout way. After ceasing regional jet operations with Delta Air Lines in 2017, parent company SkyWest is selling ExpressJet to United Airlines joint venture ManaAir, LLC for $70 million in cash.
ExpressJet presently operates a fleet of more than 120 jets: 105 Embraer ERJ-145s, 14 Bombardier CRJ700s, eight CRJ200s and one CRJ100. With Delta out of the mix and its service to American Airlines winding down, the move to United is a logical one.
The company will operate 25 United-owned Embraer 175 aircraft, which “feature a special, 70-seat configuration versus the current 76-seat E175 configuration that’s currently flying.” The transition is slated to begin in Q2 2019, and if things go well the agreement also gives ExpressJet “priority position to add 25 new dual-cabin aircraft with United should those opportunities arise.”
There’s no word just yet on which routes or regions these jets will serve, but it’s safe to say that competition is rising in the space. Beginning Jan. 31, 2019, Delta Air Lines will begin serving short and medium-haul markets with the new Airbus A220 — a narrowbody jet with 3-2 seating that looks, feels and acts like a modern widebody within. Meanwhile, we’re still waiting for the next-gen E2 showcased in 2016 to become a reality.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees