United improves onboard beverage service, trims Saks amenities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier in the coronavirus pandemic, U.S. airlines began scaling back their service offerings, limiting alcoholic beverages in some cases, and eliminating inflight service entirely in others. This week, Delta announced that beer and wine would return on certain routes, and now United is expanding its alcohol service, including in economy on international flights.
As Brian Sumers reports, and a United spokesperson confirmed, most United flights will offer beverages in all cabins, beginning tomorrow, July 3. Coffee and tea will return on certain flights as well, as will liquor in all premium cabins.
It isn’t all good news on the passenger experience front, though. Beginning July 15, United will be reducing its Saks Fifth Avenue bedding on certain flights — that comfy Saks duvet will no longer be available in domestic business class, or in first class on lie-flat flights between the mainland U.S. and Alaska and Hawaii, with the airline offering a light throw blanket, instead. That same light blanket will be removed from international Polaris cabins, though I never found it to be necessary, myself.
While bringing back liquor in premium cabins is certainly an improvement, along with beverages on most other flights, I am a bit bummed to see United’s super-comfy Saks comforters disappear from shorter flights — they’ve kept me comfy on flights to and from Hawaii, and on many a business-class transcon.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees