Donate to Hurricane Dorian relief efforts and earn United miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hurricane Dorian left the Bahamas devastated and the islands will need a huge amount of time and resources to recover. To help, United Airlines has launched a crowd funding campaign — the airline will match donations up to $100,000 to support relief efforts in the Bahamas.
One of the charities that United is supporting, Airlink, works with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to respond quickly to major disaster areas. In a release, Airlink’s CEO, Steve Smith, said United had flown more than 25 relief workers to the Bahamas, including search and rescue experts from Empact Northwest.
If you’re a United MileagePlus member, your donation could earn you up to 1,000 United miles. The airline will award 250 bonus award miles for donations of $50-$99, 500 miles for donations of $100-$249 and 1,000 miles for donations over $250. You must make your donation via the airline’s crowdfunding website, and terms and conditions of this bonus miles promotion can be found here.
“We can’t thank United enough for allowing us to jump out of the gate right away to aid people devastated by this storm,” said Airlink CEO Steven J. Smith. “Search and rescue, medical care, temporary shelter, and access to potable water are among the most immediate and pressing needs identified in the region. United’s assistance is critical in ensuring the right type of help quickly reaches those recovering.”
Featured photo by Jose Jimenez/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
The United Explorer card offers 2 miles per dollar spent at restaurants and on hotel stays and a Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check Fee credit (up to $100). The $95 annual fee is waived for the first year.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 miles after you spend $6,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months your account is open.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on dining, hotel stays, and United® purchases
- Up to $100 Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® fee Credit
- 25% back on United® inflight purchases
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip) when you use your card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on dining including eligible delivery services