United Airlines adds new route from Washington Dulles hub, expands schedule in November
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Chicago-based Star Alliance carrier will fly nearly half of the U.S. domestic schedule it flew a year ago and 38% of its international schedule in November, United said Thursday. Overall, the airline will fly roughly 44% of what it flew in November 2019 — a four-point increase over October.
The uptick in flights comes even after United furloughed more than 13,000 staff on Oct. 1. The airline shrank its workforce to match historically low levels of air travel during the coronavirus pandemic after Congress failed to extend payroll support for airline workers despite bipartisan support.
United’s domestic additions include the first batch of more than 17 routes to Florida from Boston (BOS), Cleveland (CLE), New York LaGuardia (LGA) and other cities that bypass its hubs. In addition, it will add new service between Dulles (IAD) and Key West (EYW) beginning Nov. 1. The Key West route will operate five-days-a-week on an Embraer E170 jet with 70 seats.
The airline will also add or resume flights to popular outdoor destinations in Florida and Hawaii, as well as to Boise (BOI), Palm Springs (PSP) — a desert destination that is seeing a boom in new air service — and Redmond/Bend, Oregon (RDM).
Internationally, United plans to return to Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Santiago, Chile (SCL) and Taipei (TPE) in November. In addition, it will resume several routes, including between its Denver (DEN) and Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) hubs and Frankfurt (FRA).
And United customers interested in booking flights on three of United’s new international routes can do so beginning Saturday (Oct. 3), when tickets go on sale for the Chicago-New Delhi, Bangalore-San Francisco and Newark-Johannesburg nonstops.
Despite United’s November resumptions, the outlook for airlines remains uncertain. Business travel is non-existent and thee uptick in holiday flyers that airlines saw over the summer has fallen as it normally does after Labor Day.
New data from travel data firm OAG shows bookings for November — including over the busy Thanksgiving holiday — are at around a quarter of where they were a year ago at this time for American Airlines and United. Bookings at Delta Air Lines are only 12% of 2019 levels.
Featured image by by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees