United’s new process makes it easier to figure out if you’ve been upgraded
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
However, in a pre-pandemic world, clearing the upgrade list wasn’t so easy. There was lots of competition for the few available seats and those flyers with the highest priority would be the ones to clear.
Of the major U.S. carriers, I’ve long appreciated that United displays the upgrade and standby lists at least two days before departure. Plus, United shows how many premium seats are left for sale, as well as your priority on the list.
Starting today, United is making a big improvement to how you’re notified of an upgrade. This change applies to flights departing July 15 and later.
United’s new upgrade notification process
Previously, you’d sometimes receive an email and/or text message confirming that your upgrade request cleared. If you cleared at the gate just before departure, you’d likely get called to the podium for a new physical boarding pass.
Now, every passenger — regardless of flight — will receive a notification once they’ve been cleared and assigned a seat. In order to receive text messages, you’ll need to opt-in during booking or check-in. Otherwise, you’ll get an email. Once your seat is confirmed, you’ll be asked to refresh your mobile boarding pass with the new assignment.
This notification process is just the latest step by United to reduce the number of physical touchpoints during the travel journey. Along with United’s move to back-to-front boarding, this update will help promote social distancing in the gate area.
Related: How to upgrade United flights
United’s rollout of upgrade and standby notifications couldn’t come at a better time. The carrier had paused automatic Complimentary Premier Upgrades for over two months but just restarted automatic processing as of July 8.
This latest move continues paving the way for United being the best about displaying upgrade and standby list data. American Airlines just recently released an updated version of its mobile app, which displays these lists beginning eight hours before departure. Unfortunately, the Dallas-Fort Worth-based carrier doesn’t go so far as telling you how many seats are left.
Delta, on the other hand, displays the lists beginning at check-in and includes the number of remaining seats.
Nonetheless, if you’re flying with United in the near future, be sure to keep your eyes peeled to your phone since your lucky notification could come at any time.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.