United’s new process makes it easier to figure out if you’ve been upgraded
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
However, in a pre-pandemic world, clearing the upgrade list wasn’t so easy. There was lots of competition for the few available seats and those flyers with the highest priority would be the ones to clear.
Of the major U.S. carriers, I’ve long appreciated that United displays the upgrade and standby lists at least two days before departure. Plus, United shows how many premium seats are left for sale, as well as your priority on the list.
Starting today, United is making a big improvement to how you’re notified of an upgrade. This change applies to flights departing July 15 and later.
United’s new upgrade notification process
Previously, you’d sometimes receive an email and/or text message confirming that your upgrade request cleared. If you cleared at the gate just before departure, you’d likely get called to the podium for a new physical boarding pass.
Now, every passenger — regardless of flight — will receive a notification once they’ve been cleared and assigned a seat. In order to receive text messages, you’ll need to opt-in during booking or check-in. Otherwise, you’ll get an email. Once your seat is confirmed, you’ll be asked to refresh your mobile boarding pass with the new assignment.
This notification process is just the latest step by United to reduce the number of physical touchpoints during the travel journey. Along with United’s move to back-to-front boarding, this update will help promote social distancing in the gate area.
Related: How to upgrade United flights
United’s rollout of upgrade and standby notifications couldn’t come at a better time. The carrier had paused automatic Complimentary Premier Upgrades for over two months but just restarted automatic processing as of July 8.
This latest move continues paving the way for United being the best about displaying upgrade and standby list data. American Airlines just recently released an updated version of its mobile app, which displays these lists beginning eight hours before departure. Unfortunately, the Dallas-Fort Worth-based carrier doesn’t go so far as telling you how many seats are left.
Delta, on the other hand, displays the lists beginning at check-in and includes the number of remaining seats.
Nonetheless, if you’re flying with United in the near future, be sure to keep your eyes peeled to your phone since your lucky notification could come at any time.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees