99.5% of United employees have now complied with the vaccine mandate
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Of United’s 67,000 U.S.-based employees, only 320 of them haven’t complied with the airline’s vaccine mandate.
On Thursday, the Chicago-based carrier shared an update on its vaccine requirement that officially went into effect on Monday, Sept. 27.
As it began the process of terminating the employment of 593 workers who failed to upload their vaccination cards or request an exemption by Monday, it found that 273 of them were either already vaccinated or immediately getting vaccinated.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
According to a United spokesperson, the airline is working “with folks on a case-by-case basis, but if they are getting vaccinated, they’ll be welcomed back.”
That leaves 320 U.S.-based employees who haven’t been vaccinated, requested an exemption or uploaded their vaccine card by the deadline. United will continue the separation process with those workers. If it finds that these employees were indeed vaccinated before the deadline or are immediately getting the shot, then they can remain with the company.
In a statement shared with TPG, an airline spokesperson wrote:
Our vaccine policy continues to prove requirements work — in less than 48 hours, the number of unvaccinated employees who began the process of being separated from the company has been cut almost in half, dropping from 593 to 320. That means 99.5 percent of United’s U.S. employees have now chosen to get vaccinated, excluding those who sought an exemption.
Employees who submitted for a medical or religious exemption would be placed on an unpaid leave, but the deadline for that has been extended due to pending litigation, CEO Scott Kirby said in a memo to employees viewed by TPG.
“We want to start by thanking the tens of thousands of employees who got their shot,” Kirby and airline president Brett Hart wrote in a memo sent to the airline’s workforce on Tuesday. “We know for some, that decision was a reluctant one. But there’s no doubt in our minds that some of you will have avoided a future hospital stay — or even death — because you got vaccinated.”
Featured photo courtesy of United
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees