Singapore and Sydney will be first to get United’s refreshed 787-9
This week, United’s very first Newark-Cape Town flight touched down in South Africa, after months of anticipation and a festive inaugural celebration at Newark Liberty International Airport and onboard the roughly 14-hour flight.
Many TPG readers seemed surprised to see United Airlines operate the flight with its dated 2-2-2 business class, though — which, unfortunately, remains the one and only option on some of the carrier’s most high-profile routes.
The carrier is currently working through a Dreamliner-wide retrofit, however, updating all of its 787-8s and 787-9s with entirely new cabins, including 1-2-1 Polaris business-class seats and the new Premium Plus (premium economy) product.
At the time of this writing, United is working to update one 787-8 Dreamliner — N27908 — which should return to service any day now, and one larger and longer-range 787-9 — N29968 — which is expected to fly passengers again beginning in January 2020. All 12 787-8s and 25 787-9s should be flying with the new interiors by the end of next year.
Now, Patrick Quayle, United’s vice president of network planning, has confirmed the first two routes that’ll get the updated planes — once enough 787-9s are updated to support regular service. Those flights include San Francisco (SFO)-Singapore, a roughly 17-hour journey that spans some 8,500 miles and operates twice daily, and Houston (IAH)-Sydney (SYD), which covers roughly the same distance and currently operates once each day.
Once complete, United’s 787-8s will offer 28 business-class seats, 21 in Premium Plus, 36 in Economy Plus and 158 in coach, while the larger 787-9s will sport 48 business-class seats, 21 in Premium Plus, 39 in Economy Plus and 149 in coach.
This will also be the first time United’s 787-8s and -9s will offer Premium Plus, but we won’t see that sold as a separate cabin on older Dreamliner routes until enough aircraft have been retrofitted to operate regular service, likely in the second half of 2020.
Once United’s older Dreamliners complete the retrofit process, and the carrier’s remaining 777-200s and 767-400ERs get a Polaris update, too, all of the carrier’s wide-body long-haul aircraft will finally offer the new 1-2-1 business-class seats. It’s been a long road, but the end of United’s 2-2-2 seating — and dreadful 2-4-2 business config — is finally near.
Featured image of United’s 787-9 inaugural fight touching down in Cape Town by Frank Du Plessis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees