United Takes Delivery of First 787-10 Dreamliner With Polaris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monday morning, United finally took delivery of its first 787-10 Dreamliner. The -10 makes United the first airline in the world to operate all three variants of Boeing’s latest wide-body plane.
This aircraft actually marks a bunch of other firsts as well — it’s the first extended-length 787 to be operated by a US-based carrier, it’s the first Dreamliner to be assigned to daily flights within the United States and it’s the first 787 to feature United’s new Polaris business-class seat, and a dedicated premium-economy cabin.
For passengers, the plane delivers a big upgrade on transcon flights — it’ll launch on the Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX) route on Jan. 7, 2019, followed by EWR to San Francisco (SFO) later in the spring.
The -10 offers 44 Polaris business-class seats, in addition to 21 Premium Plus (premium economy) seats, 54 Economy Plus seats and 199 coach seats. For now, Premium Plus is being sold as Economy Plus (and available free of charge to elites) — it’s possible that United may add full premium-economy service on these transcon routes later next year.
This is also United’s first aircraft to feature an updated in-flight entertainment system, with a split-screen feature, letting passengers watch content and the flight map at the same time, movie and TV recommendations based on the remaining flight time and advanced accessibility options, accommodating passengers with vision, hearing and mobility issues.
United will fly its first of 14 extended-length Dreamliners from Boeing’s South Carolina final assembly plant and delivery center tomorrow. It’ll officially begin carrying passengers on that LAX-EWR inaugural on Jan. 7.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees