This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monday morning, United finally took delivery of its first 787-10 Dreamliner. The -10 makes United the first airline in the world to operate all three variants of Boeing’s latest wide-body plane.
This aircraft actually marks a bunch of other firsts as well — it’s the first extended-length 787 to be operated by a US-based carrier, it’s the first Dreamliner to be assigned to daily flights within the United States and it’s the first 787 to feature United’s new Polaris business-class seat, and a dedicated premium-economy cabin.
For passengers, the plane delivers a big upgrade on transcon flights — it’ll launch on the Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX) route on Jan. 7, 2019, followed by EWR to San Francisco (SFO) later in the spring.
The -10 offers 44 Polaris business-class seats, in addition to 21 Premium Plus (premium economy) seats, 54 Economy Plus seats and 199 coach seats. For now, Premium Plus is being sold as Economy Plus (and available free of charge to elites) — it’s possible that United may add full premium-economy service on these transcon routes later next year.
This is also United’s first aircraft to feature an updated in-flight entertainment system, with a split-screen feature, letting passengers watch content and the flight map at the same time, movie and TV recommendations based on the remaining flight time and advanced accessibility options, accommodating passengers with vision, hearing and mobility issues.
United will fly its first of 14 extended-length Dreamliners from Boeing’s South Carolina final assembly plant and delivery center tomorrow. It’ll officially begin carrying passengers on that LAX-EWR inaugural on Jan. 7.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees