United Takes Delivery of First 787-10 Dreamliner With Polaris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Monday morning, United finally took delivery of its first 787-10 Dreamliner. The -10 makes United the first airline in the world to operate all three variants of Boeing’s latest wide-body plane.
This aircraft actually marks a bunch of other firsts as well — it’s the first extended-length 787 to be operated by a US-based carrier, it’s the first Dreamliner to be assigned to daily flights within the United States and it’s the first 787 to feature United’s new Polaris business-class seat, and a dedicated premium-economy cabin.
For passengers, the plane delivers a big upgrade on transcon flights — it’ll launch on the Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX) route on Jan. 7, 2019, followed by EWR to San Francisco (SFO) later in the spring.
The -10 offers 44 Polaris business-class seats, in addition to 21 Premium Plus (premium economy) seats, 54 Economy Plus seats and 199 coach seats. For now, Premium Plus is being sold as Economy Plus (and available free of charge to elites) — it’s possible that United may add full premium-economy service on these transcon routes later next year.
This is also United’s first aircraft to feature an updated in-flight entertainment system, with a split-screen feature, letting passengers watch content and the flight map at the same time, movie and TV recommendations based on the remaining flight time and advanced accessibility options, accommodating passengers with vision, hearing and mobility issues.
United will fly its first of 14 extended-length Dreamliners from Boeing’s South Carolina final assembly plant and delivery center tomorrow. It’ll officially begin carrying passengers on that LAX-EWR inaugural on Jan. 7.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.