United Will Not Be Operating 737 MAX Flights This September, Despite Accidental Display
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Boeing 737 MAX has been grounded since mid-March of 2019 following two high-profile accidents which claimed the lives of 346 passengers and crew. The aircraft has remained grounded in the months following as it currently undergoes software and hardware updates to fix the faulty MCAS in question, and airlines have pushed the return of the MAX back into service to November at a minimum.
So, you can imagine what a surprise it would be to find the aircraft showing up as the equipment type for flights scheduled as soon as September, as spotted by View From The Wing. Screenshots in the post show the Boeing 737 MAX 9 as the aircraft type for flight UA 1586 from Houston to Newark on September 10, 2019 — months before the aircraft is scheduled to return to service.
United Airlines confirmed to The Points Guy that the 737 MAX was briefly listed as the equipment type on a handful of flights. In a statement to TPG, United Airlines said:
“A limited number of flights in September and October accidentally displayed that they would be operated by the 737 MAX. We quickly removed the MAX and replaced it with the correct aircraft that were intended to operate those flights.”
So, if your flight previously displayed the Boeing 737 MAX 9 as the aircraft type, rest assured, the 737 MAX is still removed from United’s official schedule through it’s latest date of November 9.
United Airlines has 14 Boeing 737 MAX 9 aircraft. All Boeing 737 MAX variations, including the MAX 9, were grounded back in March. With a relatively small fleet compared to its competitors, United has faired significantly better than American Airlines and Southwest in the months since the grounding began.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees