Uber Will Soon Use Drones to Deliver Your Takeout Order
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a bird, it’s a plane— no, it’s your sushi order flying right to your doorstep. On Wednesday, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi announced plans to make its food delivery service faster by testing drones that will fly takeout orders directly to the customer.
As part of a new initiative for commercial drone testing, the US Department of Transportation approved Uber’s plans to test food delivery by drone in San Diego. Uber plans on being able to make food deliveries by drone in under 30 minutes, Khosrowshahi told Bloomberg. The DOT also approved drone projects from several other companies (including Google’s parent company Alphabet Inc., Intel and FedEx), as well as 10 states, local and tribal governments to work together on commercial drone testing.
Khosrowshahi made the drone project announcement at a conference about the company’s flying car project: Uber Elevate. He told the crowd at the conference that Uber has become the largest food delivery business in the world. Currently, its food delivery service, Uber Eats, operates in more than 30 countries, outgrowing its ride-hailing taxi service in some cities around the world, Business Insider reports. Uber has not yet confirmed when the drone delivery test program will begin.
Recently, Uber has paused testing on another one of its development projects: its self-driving vehicles. The autonomous cars are being investigated following a software malfunction incident in which a car failed to recognize a pedestrian, and she was struck and killed. Khosrowshahi said that Uber would resume with the testing in “the next few months,” once the National Transportation Safety Board completes its investigation.
Photo courtesy Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.