Uber Eats waiving delivery fees for local restaurants during the coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Uber Eats announced that it is waiving all delivery fees for local restaurants as of March 16. The announcement, which came in the form of an email to Uber Eats customers, also outlined the steps Uber Eats is taking to keep drivers and customers safe during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Find COVID-19 updates on TPG’s coronavirus hub page and sign up for our daily newsletter for the latest news.
The text of the email is below:
“As more people stay home, local restaurants need your business more than ever. That’s why we’re waiving the Delivery Fee for all orders from every independent restaurant on Uber Eats — more than 100,000 local restaurants on the app.
To support local restaurants and pay no Delivery Fee, look out for the EATLOCAL banner in the app. Delivery Fees will be automatically waived on all applicable orders, which we hope will make eating from your local favorites even easier.
Uber Eats is committed to supporting our community, and helping to keep you safe.
- Contactless deliveries: To help you feel confident about safe delivery, we’ve made it easier to have food left at your doorstep, and are working to provide delivery people with sanitization materials. As always, your food items aren’t touched once they’ve been packed by the restaurant.
- Helping affected delivery people: We continue to support Uber delivery people and drivers with financial assistance in the event of a COVID-19 diagnosis or exposure, preventing them from working.
- Supporting our community: We’re committing 300,000+ free meals on Uber Eats to healthcare workers and first responders in the U.S. and Canada. We know that the work of medical and crisis response teams can be tireless, and the hours long which is why we want to help even in a small way.”
If you’re one of the millions of people who are self-isolating or have been ordered to shelter in place, this is a good way to get some food to your home. Even better, this way you can continue to support your local businesses during the outbreak, as the impact on small businesses has been absolutely enormous. As a reminder, you can use the $15 monthly Uber credits (plus a $20 bonus in December) provided by The Platinum Card® from American Express for your U.S. Uber Eats order (for up to $200 in Uber cash per calendar year). Enrollment required.
Featured photo by Dia Adams/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees