Uber riders can now pick precise pickup spots, ask drivers to choose a different route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The feature Uber riders probably want most right now is a return to pre-pandemic pricing. In many markets, fares have jumped considerably over the last few months — personally, I’ve been giving most of my ride-share business to Lyft, which consistently wins the pricing battle each time I comparison shop before I request a pickup.
At least in part, that’s an issue of supply and demand — in some cases, there are more riders than drivers, and the app automatically adjusts pricing up so the riders who are willing to pay higher prices get matched with a car.
Wednesday, Uber announced two new features — and no, sadly they don’t have anything to do with lower fares. Still, they’re intended to help improve the pick-up and en-route experience, while hopefully freeing up drivers to get to their next customers more quickly in the process.
Want more from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
The first is what Uber’s calling “Side of Street,” and it functions exactly as the name implies. Rather than seeing a random pick-up pin location, drivers will be able to see exactly which side of the street their rider is standing on, potentially trimming off several minutes of searching or “looping around” on busy streets.
As Uber explains, with this change, “drivers will now be shown what side of the street the rider is on as well as a descriptive landmark to clearly decipher the rider’s location.”
Perhaps even more exciting, once you’re actually in the car, drivers will now have a choice of three routes they can use to get you to your destination. The driver app will also “predict traffic congestion” when identifying ideal routes. Hopefully, that’ll help minimize the risk of getting stuck in unnecessary traffic if you end up with a driver who insists on following Uber’s built-in navigation.
I’m definitely pleased to see that Uber’s making an effort to eliminate some long-time pain points — while the impact may be marginal, any action that helps free drivers up more quickly is a win for riders, drivers and the platform alike.
Featured photo by Hrach Hovhannisyan / Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees