Sorry, that extra $35 you got in your Uber account was a mistake
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many of us at TPG got very excited on Sunday, Dec. 26, when an extra $35 credit appeared in our Uber accounts.
Some of us hoped it was a special holiday surprise courtesy of American Express. After all, you do get an extra $20 added in December (for a total of $35) as part of a monthly Amex credit on Uber (usually, it’s just $15 per month).
Cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express already get up to $200 in annual Uber credits (for use in the U.S.), which can help justify the card’s $695 annual fee (see rates and fees). Enrollment is required for select benefits, including the Uber credit.
Unfortunately, not long after we first started getting notifications of the added credits, some folks saw them get clawed back.
Sadly, American Express has confirmed these credits were a mistake. When I chatted with an American Express customer service representative, they said, “I would request you to please ignore the second $35 credit as it was mistakenly issued and our team is working on the same and it will be resolved soon.”
I also asked if the $35 Uber credit would be honored for people who had already spent it, and the agent said yes.
Either way, it’s a good reminder that Amex Platinum cardholders receive $15 in Uber credits every month except in December when the credit is increased to $35.
If you haven’t spent yours already, you still have a few days left to do so.
You could use your Uber credit on rides or on Uber Eats orders — and if you’re not able to take advantage, you could always send a treat to someone using the app. People in select cities may also be able to use the Uber credit on a grocery delivery order.
Featured image by Hrach Hovhannisyan/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees