Amidst a rental shortage, this popular carsharing service has now expanded to all 50 states
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the summer travel season heads into full swing, the car rental shortage across the U.S. persists.
Thankfully, there is at least one area of the U.S. that may get a slight reprieve from sky-high car rental prices and scarce availability — New York.
Turo, a popular carsharing service, has announced its return to New York state after more than a seven-year absence. Back in 2013, the company was banned by the New York Department of Financial Services for failing to comply with state insurance laws.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
However, starting June 9, 2021, Turo will have cars available again in New York — including all five boroughs of New York City. With this launch, Turo is now available to users across all 50 U.S. states.
Initially, Turo guests in New York will only be to book with “Commercial Hosts,” essentially independent rental companies who provide their own insurance and are registered with the state.
This is different from Turo’s service in other parts of the country where commercial rentals and peer-to-peer carsharing are both available.
In a statement to TPG, Turo CEO Andre Haddad said that the company is “continuing to work with legislators to bring car-sharing and the complete peer-to-peer Turo marketplace back to New York.”
Even though it will not be the full Turo experience, having another car rental-like option will be a welcome addition for travelers this summer and beyond.
Haddad added that he is “incredibly excited to reach this significant milestone” and bring Turo back to the state. At one point, the New York City area accounted for 20% of Turo’s business and was a top-five metro area by revenue.
Featured photo by Chris Dong/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.