Amidst a rental shortage, this popular carsharing service has now expanded to all 50 states
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the summer travel season heads into full swing, the car rental shortage across the U.S. persists.
Thankfully, there is at least one area of the U.S. that may get a slight reprieve from sky-high car rental prices and scarce availability — New York.
Turo, a popular carsharing service, has announced its return to New York state after more than a seven-year absence. Back in 2013, the company was banned by the New York Department of Financial Services for failing to comply with state insurance laws.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
However, starting June 9, 2021, Turo will have cars available again in New York — including all five boroughs of New York City. With this launch, Turo is now available to users across all 50 U.S. states.
Initially, Turo guests in New York will only be to book with “Commercial Hosts,” essentially independent rental companies who provide their own insurance and are registered with the state.
This is different from Turo’s service in other parts of the country where commercial rentals and peer-to-peer carsharing are both available.
In a statement to TPG, Turo CEO Andre Haddad said that the company is “continuing to work with legislators to bring car-sharing and the complete peer-to-peer Turo marketplace back to New York.”
Even though it will not be the full Turo experience, having another car rental-like option will be a welcome addition for travelers this summer and beyond.
Haddad added that he is “incredibly excited to reach this significant milestone” and bring Turo back to the state. At one point, the New York City area accounted for 20% of Turo’s business and was a top-five metro area by revenue.
Featured photo by Chris Dong/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees