TSA Reveals It’s Found Multiple 3D Printed Guns at Security Checkpoints
One day after a federal judge temporarily blocked 3D printed gun blueprints from being distributed on the internet, CBS News has learned that the TSA has caught a handful of 3D printed guns at airport security checkpoints.
Since 2016, the TSA says there have been at least four “incidents” with 3D printed guns or gun parts at airport security checkpoints.
A 3D printed firearm and five rounds of .22-caliber ammunition were found at Reno-Tahoe Airport (RNO) in a carry-on bag in August 2016. Another 3D printed gun was discovered in a person’s carry-on luggage in May 2017 at Manchester-Boston Regional Airport in New Hampshire (MHT). Both firearms were voluntarily abandoned.
There were two other reports of 3D printed parts for a rifle’s lower receiver stopped at Las Vegas’ (LAS) airport. The gun parts were also left with the TSA.
This news comes on the heels of the TSA considering the complete elimination of security checkpoints at smaller, regional airports.
Every year, the TSA finds thousands of normal guns at airports — in 2017 the government agency confiscated nearly 4,000 firearms at airport checkpoints.
3D printed guns are typically made of polymer substances although most need metal parts to function properly. Because the weapons are mostly composed of plastic could make it more difficult for metal detectors to discover them.
“TSA Officers are trained and on the lookout for 3D guns,” TSA Assistant Administrator Michael Bilello said in a statement to CBS News. “We have proven detection capabilities and screening protocols in place. In the world of airport and aviation security, ‘a gun is a gun.'”
When asked about if the TSA is implementing methods to detect 3D printed weapons, the agency pointed TPG to this statement on their website:
[The] TSA has determined that these items can—and have been— detected at the security checkpoint. Our officers are trained to look for and detect threats, including artfully concealed weapons, and through use of sophisticated technology, including Advanced Imaging Technology, can detect non-metallic items concealed on a passenger.
In the same statement the TSA said that 3D printed firearms are treated like normal guns and must be transported in checked luggage in accordance with federal regulations or else be subject to penalties and prosecution.
Featured image courtesy of the TSA / Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees