TSA App Might Help Foresee Shutdown-Related Security Delays
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you haven’t already done so — we highly recommend downloading the myTSA app.
Since Dec. 22, the partial shutdown of the US government (which has now become the longest in US history) has been taking a toll on airports throughout the country, particularly affecting the employees. Some TSA agents have been calling out sick, while others are working long hours without pay. Either way, in the past three weeks there has been a pattern of delays, terminal closures and enormous lines at security.
Although it’s not a solution for avoiding lines (TSA PreCheck and CLEAR might be more effective methods of that), the myTSA app uses a combination of crowdsourcing and history to inform its users on how long it will take to get through security at any designated US airport.
In times like these, the crowdsourcing aspect is crucial to the effectiveness of the myTSA app — the more recent the updates are, the better. So we asked the TPG Lounge on Facebook to see if anyone had used the app to combat the shutdown, and more importantly, if it was accurate. TPG Lounge member Kevin Sauer used the app at Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), which had been suffering from extra long wait-times at security, and said using the app was “quick and easy,” and that since it had been updated recently, it was accurate. Other lounge members also reported it was accurate for Honolulu’s Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Washington, DC’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG).
TPG staffer Ethan Steinberg also found the app was pretty much on the nose at New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) Tuesday, with wait-times falling between 10-15 minutes both on the app and in person.
Featured image by Spencer Platt/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees