Reader Question: Can you transfer Chase Freedom cash back to an authorized user’s Ultimate Rewards account?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a reader question from someone I didn’t expect to answer points and miles of questions: My mom. Ever since I got into this hobby in 2011, my mom has let me manage her loyalty and credit card accounts. I tell her which cards to apply for and she uses them for daily spending and pays them off every month. When it’s time to travel somewhere, she asks me to handle all the point transfers and redemptions.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Well, recently, she brought up an interesting redemption question that I thought I’d share with all of you:
To give you some context, my mom has her own Chase Freedom Unlimited that she uses for daily spending. She is also an authorized user on my dad’s Chase Sapphire Preferred Card account. It’s been like this for years and she’s perfectly content not paying the $95 annual fee while still getting the perks of this card.
My mom had tried to transfer her Freedom Unlimited rewards by using the “combine points” tab online. However, she got a slightly confusing error message that she couldn’t make sense of.
How to transfer Freedom cash back rewards to an authorized user’s Ultimate Rewards account
I’m glad my mom checked with me because the answer is yes – you can convert your Freedom cash back rewards to Ultimate Rewards points, even if you’re just an authorized user on the latter account. Unfortunately, this isn’t possible online. You’ll have to call Chase and ask to speak to someone in the Ultimate Rewards department.
When you speak with an agent, you’ll need to confirm information for your own account as well as the authorized user account you’re transferring points to. Once the agent verifies that you are, in fact, an authorized user on the receiving account, they can complete the transfer in a matter of minutes. The points post pretty much instantly once the transfer is complete.
If you’re a Chase Freedom cardholder who happens to be an authorized user on an Ultimate Rewards credit card, you can transfer your rewards just like you would if both accounts belonged to you. It’s a great feature that can open up a world of redemption opportunities, helping you maximize your rewards further.
The cons of being an authorized user
Being an authorized user on a significant other’s travel rewards card is a great way to save on credit card annual fees. However, in the short-term, you’ll lose out on a pretty substantial sign-up bonus. For example, at the moment the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card is offering a bonus of 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening. TPG values Ultimate Rewards points at two cents each, making this bonus worth up to $1,600.
Eventually, my mom will take herself off my dad’s account and get her own card. But in the meantime, it’s good to know that she can transfer her Freedom Unlimited cash back rewards to his Ultimate Rewards account if she needs to.
Featured photo by oatawa/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees