The top kid-friendly tourist destinations around the world
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Planning a vacation is no easy task, and deciding where you’re going to go and what you’re going to see can be even trickier when you’re traveling with kids. I’ve experienced firsthand just how much changes when your travels include toting a toddler around. But one of the most amazing aspects of having a child is seeing the world through his or her eyes. It’s cliche, sure, but that’s because it’s true.
To help families with the trip-planning process, Australian-based Budget Direct Travel Insurance did some digging and put together a comprehensive list (with neat maps, too) of the best tourist attractions for kids around the world according to TripAdvisor reviews.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Notable spots include Central Park in New York City, the Panama Canal, the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland and the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway in South Africa. There are even a number of theme parks, museums and animal sanctuaries on the list.
In North America, for example, natural attractions including bays and beaches dominated the list. Across the pond in Europe, the map is a more varied mix of parks and gardens; museums and historic old towns; and waterfalls and lakes.
For travelers with their sights set on Australia, there’s an extra-detailed map of the Land Down Under that features more than 50 destinations (think: the Koala Hospital in New South Wales and the Hervey Bay Historical Village and Museum in Queensland).
There’s really something for every type of traveler. And the information they’ve provided is a great starting point if you’re looking to plan your next family vacation.
I visited Tikal in Guatemala nearly a decade ago, for example, and would love to take my 4-year-old daughter back. It’s a stunning archeological playground. And astoundingly, it’s estimated that only 15% of the ancient Mayan citadel has been excavated.
I’ve also been to Jardín Japonés (Buenos Aires Japanese Gardens) in Argentina, and can attest to the fact that it would be a fantastic place to spend an afternoon with a child. Considered one of the largest Japanese gardens outside Japan, little ones will love the whimsical sculptures, water features and, of course, the beautifully manicured gardens.
Related: The best credit cards for families
Even if you don’t find an attraction that fits your upcoming travels, the maps are great for inspiration. You could even sneak in a geography lesson if you decide to peruse them with your kids!
Have you taken your family to any of these spots? I know my list of travel “to-dos” just grew!
Featured image by WitR/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees