This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new startup airline has made an ambitious order at the Farnborough Air Show today. Taiwan-based StarLux Airlines placed an order for 17 Airbus A350s in an effort to build out its long-haul fleet.
A competitor to the Boeing 787, the A350 went into service in 2015 and is known for its ability to make the economics of long-haul point-to-point routes more feasible with its better fuel burn and reduced maintenance costs.
StarLux has yet to operate any flights but plans to begin short-haul operations in 2020 with an initial lease of 10 narrow-body Airbus A321neos. The airline was founded and is currently lead by Chang Kuo-wei, former chairman of Taiwanese carrier EVA Air.
StarLux has plans to operate long-haul routes by 2022, including flights to North America, in addition to shorter intra-Asia flights. It will compete with other Taiwanese carriers like Star Alliance carrier Eva Air and SkyTeam carrier China Airlines.
Airbus has confirmed 27 orders for the A350 at Farnborough so far, with China’s Sichuan Airlines signing on to purchase 10 A350-900s.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees