This Unknown Startup Airline Just Ordered 17 A350s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new startup airline has made an ambitious order at the Farnborough Air Show today. Taiwan-based StarLux Airlines placed an order for 17 Airbus A350s in an effort to build out its long-haul fleet.
A competitor to the Boeing 787, the A350 went into service in 2015 and is known for its ability to make the economics of long-haul point-to-point routes more feasible with its better fuel burn and reduced maintenance costs.
The $6 billion deal includes orders for 12 of the larger A350-1000s and five midsize A350-900s. It’s a boost to Airbus’ -1000 model, which hasn’t sold nearly as well as the -900.
StarLux has yet to operate any flights but plans to begin short-haul operations in 2020 with an initial lease of 10 narrow-body Airbus A321neos. The airline was founded and is currently lead by Chang Kuo-wei, former chairman of Taiwanese carrier EVA Air.
StarLux has plans to operate long-haul routes by 2022, including flights to North America, in addition to shorter intra-Asia flights. It will compete with other Taiwanese carriers like Star Alliance carrier Eva Air and SkyTeam carrier China Airlines.
Airbus has confirmed 27 orders for the A350 at Farnborough so far, with China’s Sichuan Airlines signing on to purchase 10 A350-900s.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees