This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The biggest twinjet made by Airbus will soon be able to go farther. In April, Airbus rolled out the first A350-900 ULR (Ultra Long-Range), making it the longest-range aircraft in the world. However, that’s not the only model in the the A350 family to receive a boost in range.
Airbus is now also offering an extended range — formally known as higher maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) — version of the A350-1000. The new A350-1000 316-ton MTOW is eight tons more than that of what is currently the heaviest variant of the aircraft. That’s because Airbus was able to increase fuel capacity, without making structural modifications, according to Air Transport World.
Airbus claims the new version will have a range of almost 9,700 miles — 500 miles more than the A350-1000, but still 1,500 miles less than the A350-900 ULR. That’s enough to fly nonstop between Chicago (ORD) and Auckland (AKL) — a route that Air New Zealand is going to fly with the Boeing 787-9. But it’s still a long way from being able to meet the demands of Qantas’ “Project Sunrise” — an ambitious plan to launch non-stop flights from Sydney to London and New York.
There are currently 168 firm orders for the A350-1000, including an uncertain order for 16 placed by Iran Air. Qatar Airways received the first A350-1000 in February (check out TPG‘s report of the delivery flight), followed by Cathay Pacific, which took delivery of one in March and expects its second next week. It’s still unknown which airlines will be opting for the new long-range version.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees