These Are the Worst Travel Habits, According to Expedia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Everyone has a list of things they can’t stand to see on a flight. Whether it’s the passenger using the air vent to dry underwear or the one hogging the armrest, you’ve most likely witnessed some inexcusable behavior while flying. Although some behavior is more tolerable than others, there is a general standard of travel dos and don’ts. Expedia released its Airplane and Hotel Etiquette Study and ranked the top travel offenders of 2018.
The study surveyed 18,000 people around the world and identified that the most annoying travel behaviors and passengers are the seat kickers, barefoot passengers and excessively chatty or loud travelers. Topping the list for the fourth year in a row was the seat-kicking passenger — more than half of respondents (51%) identified that as the worst plane behavior. Additionally, more than 90% of respondents said that being barefoot on a flight is not acceptable. In fact, 75% of Americans said they always keep both their shoes and socks on while flying.
Here’s the top ranked list of worst flight passengers:
- The Seat Kicker/Bumper/Grabber
- The Aromatic Passenger
- Inattentive Parents
- Personal Space Violators
- Audio Insensitive
- Queue Jumper
- Pungent Foodies
- Baggage Mishandler
- Armrest Hog
- Airplane Mode Violator
The study also asked people about the worst hotel habits and experiences. Inattentive parents were deemed the most annoying in hotels, followed by loud guests dubbed “in-room revelers” and “hallway hell-raisers.” Rounding out the top five on the worst hotel guest list were “the complainers” and those who might over-imbibe, deemed “party-goers/ bar boozers.” In addition to these findings, 82% of Americans polled said the worst thing to encounter in a hotel room would be bedbugs while 67% said finding a used condom or open condom wrapper would be disturbing.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.