These 10 Routes Are Worth Serious Cash To Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millions of passengers take to the skies every single day around the globe. If you have ever wondered which of those routes are making the most cash for the airlines you’re in luck.
OAG has released its newest numbers for the top 10 revenue routes for airlines for 2019. Topping the list once again this year is British Airways’ route between London Heathrow and New York JFK, which OAG estimates produces more than $1 billion in revenue. The route is the only one on the list to surpass the $1 billion mark, according to OAG’s analysis.
One interesting note in the numbers is while Oneworld and The Star Alliance have and equal number of spots on the overall top 10 list, not a single SkyTeam airline is in the mix.
As you might imagine the US transcontinental flights between the New York and the west coast feature in the top 10 as well with both American and United featured on overall the list. When you look at North America specifically flights from the New York City area seven of the top ten spots are city pairs that include that region.
Overall the top 10 routes are the same as they were last year, with the only differences being actual revenue. With numbers like this, it’s easy to see why airlines protect certain routes. It also underscores why slots at London’s Heathrow airport are some of the most expensive on earth and are exceedingly difficult to come by for airlines.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Patrick T. Fallon/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.