These 10 Routes Are Worth Serious Cash To Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Millions of passengers take to the skies every single day around the globe. If you have ever wondered which of those routes are making the most cash for the airlines you’re in luck.
OAG has released its newest numbers for the top 10 revenue routes for airlines for 2019. Topping the list once again this year is British Airways’ route between London Heathrow and New York JFK, which OAG estimates produces more than $1 billion in revenue. The route is the only one on the list to surpass the $1 billion mark, according to OAG’s analysis.
One interesting note in the numbers is while Oneworld and The Star Alliance have and equal number of spots on the overall top 10 list, not a single SkyTeam airline is in the mix.
As you might imagine the US transcontinental flights between the New York and the west coast feature in the top 10 as well with both American and United featured on overall the list. When you look at North America specifically flights from the New York City area seven of the top ten spots are city pairs that include that region.
Overall the top 10 routes are the same as they were last year, with the only differences being actual revenue. With numbers like this, it’s easy to see why airlines protect certain routes. It also underscores why slots at London’s Heathrow airport are some of the most expensive on earth and are exceedingly difficult to come by for airlines.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Patrick T. Fallon/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees