The New Statue of Liberty Museum Will Open in NYC This Month
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The museum will be a big deal for tourists and New Yorkers — especially kids — who want to learn about Lady Liberty. Since 9/11, 80% of the more than 4.3 million visitors to Liberty Island are unable to access the museum inside the statue’s pedestal due to security restrictions. When the new $70 million museum opens, it will allow people to visit without advance reservations or tickets.
Spread over 26,000 square feet, the new scheme includes a free-standing museum in which there will be educational exhibits on the statue’s history, a large public plaza and a rooftop viewing platform accessible by a monumental exterior staircase. The museum complex is being designed by New York-based FXCollaborative, which also designed the Alice Tully Hall adjacent to Lincoln Center, renovated and expanded the Javits Center and worked on the master plan for Hudson Yards.
They designed the building with sustainability and resiliency in mind. It’s resistant to hurricanes, can treat storm water runoff, uses renewable energy and incorporates local flora and fauna into the exteriors.
The statue’s original torch has already been moved to the site of the new museum. When it opens in a couple of weeks, it will have several galleries with exhibits that immerse viewers in the statue’s story and invite them to reflect on the ideals she represents, including access to education, free elections and freedom of the press. In the Engagement Gallery, for example, a series of multimedia displays will show visitors what it was like inside the workshop where French sculptor Frédéric August Bartholdi created the statue.
The Inspiration Gallery will let visitors get up close and personal with the statue’s original torch, which was removed in 1984 and replaced. Though Bartholdi had initially envisioned it as a shining copper flame, subsequent interventions transformed it into a flame made mainly of glass, which suffered from serious rainwater leakage and had to be removed. Once inside the museum, it will shine once again.
Featured rendering courtesy of the Liberty Ellis Foundation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees