The Netherlands Pays Residents to Ride Their Bikes To Work
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a very on-brand development, the Netherlands is moving forward with a $390 million investment aimed to inspire more Dutch citizens to commute by bicycle.
The country, in which bicycles outnumber residents by approximately 6 million, already has been rewarding cyclists with tax credits of $0.22 per kilometer. However, this benefit is relatively unknown and offered by few Dutch employers, according to the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management. Ministry secretary Stientje van Veldhoven claims that more than half of people living in the Netherlands have a daily commute from work that can be “easily covered by bike,” with more than 50% of commuters’ car trips falling just below 7.5 kilometers (about 4.6 miles) long.
As for paying people to cycle? The Dutch government plans on raising awareness of the $0.22 tax benefit for employers and residents. They also plan on pushing companies to provide better facilities for commuting bikers such as showers at the office, for example. And, unfortunately, this isn’t a benefit that a tourist can take advantage of yet — as the $0.22 is paid to residents via tax.
Featured image by Didier Marti / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.