This is the hotel I’m most excited to (hopefully) visit next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I had big travel plans for 2020. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and explore parts of the world I’ve never been to before. At the top of the list were Ethiopia and Tanzania.
Of course, the pandemic derailed those plans and many others. And, living in the midst of it has been exhausting, even though my life is considerably more stationary than it ever has been.
When we can return to traveling the world safely again, I have no doubt I’ll embark on an incredible trip to an unexplored (for me) destination. In fact, I’ve basically planned an entire trip to the Middle East and just have to wait until it’s safe to finally proceed with booking it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
But, after months of working from my childhood bedroom and not getting out all that much, I have found myself in need of rejuvenation. And, what better relaxation is there than sitting on the beach at a luxury resort, getting served margaritas and other overpriced cocktails?
I’ve had my eye on one particular resort — The St. Regis Punta Mita in Mexico — for years now, and, the COVID situation pending, I’ll finally make a trip there next year.
Thanks to more or less stopping travel this year, I’ve added significantly to my stash of Marriott Bonvoy points, and I’ve decided to cash them in for a five-night stay in paradise over my birthday next year. I used 360,000 points for my stay, taking advantage of Marriott’s fifth-night-free perk when using points. While it’s no small amount of points, I feel I’m getting a good value for them, considering how great this Category 8 property looks.
If a similar redemption speaks to you but you’re short on Marriott points, you can give your account a boost by applying for a card like the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, which is currently offering a welcome offer of 75,000 bonus points after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months. Plus, earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants within the first six months of card membership.
It’s not the newest or the fanciest resort of all time, but I’m drawn to it for its pristine location in Punta Mita about an hour’s drive from Puerto Vallarta in the state of Nayarit. The resort itself is located more or less on a peninsula with a rugged coastline characterized with stunning rock formations and white-sand beaches.
It’s near a still-somewhat-sleepy surf town called Sayulita where you’ll find galleries filled with works hand-crafted by the indigenous Huichol people. It’s also close to the Marietas Islands, where you can see whales and dolphins — perfect for any animal lover.
While there’s plenty to do and see around the resort, the property itself makes it hard to leave. As soon as you step into the lobby, you’re greeted by a set of cascading pools, framed by palm trees, leading to the beach. You definitely won’t forget you’re in paradise.
There are three infinity pools for swimming, two Jack Nicklaus golf courses, a Remede spa, the ceremonial Champagne-sabering ceremony every evening and so much more to enjoy.
The rooms themselves are large — base rooms measure in at around 600 square feet — and blend French design flourishes with a relaxed, beachside feel. The property only has 120 rooms in total, which should ensure that I’m never fighting anyone for a seat at the pool.
All in all, this resort looks — in my opinion — to be one of the finest places to use points in North America. It’s got a sublime location in one of the most beautiful parts of Mexico’s Pacific coast, amenities galore, beautiful pools, comfortable and luxurious rooms, and so much more.
The pandemic has worn me — and so many others — down. While I’m eager to return to the world with eyes wide open and a hunger for exploration of new places, cultures and experiences, my first priority is going to be a refreshing, relaxing and revitalizing trip to the beach — and I can’t think of a better place to do that relatively close to home than at The St. Regis Punta Mita.
Featured photo courtesy of St Regis Punta Mita/Marriott
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees