Temperature screenings coming to U.S. airports now including LAX
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“A world-class airport isn’t defined just by our historic investments in a reimagined LAX and an improved traveling experience. It’s also about world-class safety,” Mayor Eric Garcetti announced Monday in a press conference. “This project … will help keep travelers healthy and set a new industry standard.”
The thermal cameras help quickly identify travelers with elevated body temps of 100.4 or higher, and are located by the main entrance on the departures level, as well as within the terminal near certain international arrival checkpoints. Participation is optional, and signs will alert passengers before they pass the thermal cameras. Travelers who wish to opt out have the option of taking a different path that doesn’t pass the screening checkpoints.
Travelers identified with temps of 100.4 or higher will be asked to submit to a second, manual screening by a medical professional stationed near the camera using a handheld, no-contact thermometer. If the second reading also shows an elevated temperature, departing travelers will be advised to return home and avoid traveling, while incoming travelers may be referred to Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) staff on site.
The mayor’s office stressed that thermal camera temperature screenings will not replace existing safety measures, and the cameras will not store, transmit or share any data or images taken. Other LAX initiatives include signs directing travelers to practice social distancing, wear a face covering at all times and wash their hands frequently. The airport has also increased deep cleaning throughout the airport focusing on “high touch” areas, and installed more than 250 hand sanitizer stations.
LAX is the third busiest airport in the world by arrivals and departures, with more than 88 million travelers passing through in 2019. LAX earned fifth place on TPG’s list of airports with the best amenities in 2019.
Featured image courtesy Los Angeles World Airports.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees