How to See All the Lucky Celestial Events Happening This Week
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Stargazers, mark your calendars: There’s about to be a rare cosmic alignment of the stars and the moon.
On Wednesday, July 31, the new moon will return for the second time this month. This is a special event called a “Black Moon,” according to the Farmer’s Almanac, and it occurs every 32 months. The catch is that you’ll have to be in North America to see it, since it will be Aug. 1 in the rest of the world when it lines up. During this time, the moon will be positioned almost directly between the sun and Earth. It’s also technically a “supermoon” since it’s in its closest orbit to our planet, though you won’t be able to see it, since only the far side of the moon will be illuminated.
Fortunately, the days surrounding a new moon (and during the new moon) are an ideal time for stargazing. According to Travel + Leisure, there’s typically a week of excellent stargazing before a new moon, and a few days after. So you have until Aug. 3 to grab your telescope, head to high ground and look for your favorite constellations.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
That’s not all, though. Since Earth tilts towards the Milky Way during the summer months, this a prime opportunity to catch a glimpse of it — along with a shower of shooting stars. Starting the night of Tuesday, July 30, two competing meteor showers (the Southern Delta Aquariids and Alpha Capricornids) will peak, meaning you might be able to see up to 25 shooting stars per hour due to the lack of moonlight.
For your best chance of enjoying your good celestial fortune, it helps to be on either edge of the US, according to CBS News, where viewing conditions should be favorable, or in a narrow band of middle America. Of course, you’ll want to get far from light pollution, too. Consider searching for an officially recognized International Dark Sky Park or Preserve near you, like Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in California; Rappahannock County Park in Virginia; and Cherry Springs State Park in Pennsylvania. You’ll want to start watching the sky after midnight, local time.
The best part of this whole thing? It’s finally time to say goodbye to Mercury in retrograde on August 2. A lucky celestial event indeed.
Featured photo by NASA / Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees