There Are Now 3 More Official ‘Dark Sky Parks’ in the US for Extraordinary Stargazing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With summer kicking into high-gear in most parts of the country (well, sort of) now is a good time to start planning some outdoor activities for some of those warm nights ahead.
Well, luckily for you, The International Dark-Sky Association, a group formed in 2001 that recognizes Dark Sky Parks around the world has just named three new locations in the Western US as extraordinary spots for stargazing.
The association defines an official Dark Sky Park as “publicly- or privately-owned spaces protected for natural conservation that implement good outdoor lighting and provide dark sky programs for visitors.”
The new parks in the US include the Tonto National Monument outside of Phoenix, Arizona, which was named on May 7, Dinosaur National Monument, which sits on the Utah-Colorado border and was recognized on April 22 — and, most recently, The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in southern Colorado, which received its classification Thursday, May 9, as the third-ever destination in the US to be named an International Dark Sky Park within the span of a month.
View this post on Instagram
Congratulations to Colorado’s @greatsanddunesnps for their designation as an International Dark Sky Park! #GreatSandDunes has a long history of conservation, going back to 1932 when it was established to protect the tallest dunes in North America. “A starlit night at Great Sand Dunes can bring opportunities for wonder, perspective, and a more intimate connection with the natural world than we have in the daytime,” says park ranger Patrick Myers. Check the link in bio for more info! 📸: NPS/Patrick Myers. #darksky #idadarksky #findyourpark #nightsky #parkafterdark #halftheparkisafterdark #darkskypark
A post shared by International Dark-Sky Assoc. (@idadarksky) on
“It’s no surprise that Great Sand Dunes has been building a reputation for good night sky viewing,” says Great Sand Dunes Superintendent Pamela Rice in a press release. “The dry air, high elevation, and lack of light pollution all make the park an ideal dark-sky destination. We are thrilled with receiving this recognition as an International Dark Sky Park.”
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Great Sand Dunes has long been a stargazing spot for locals in the area due in part to the Sangre de Cristo mountains shielding the light pollution from cities along Colorado’s Front Range. Park officials, excited by their new partnership with The International Dark-Sky Association, are planning on celebrating the news with a ceremony later this summer. Details will be announced via the park website sometime soon.
“Great Sand Dunes has some of the darkest skies measured in the West,” says Rice. “We invite you to come out and experience this treasure for yourself.”
To find a Dark Sky Park near you to do some sky gazing, check out the International Dark-Sky Association’s interactive map.
Featured image by Matt Payne of Durango, Colorado via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees