There Are Now 3 More Official ‘Dark Sky Parks’ in the US for Extraordinary Stargazing
With summer kicking into high-gear in most parts of the country (well, sort of) now is a good time to start planning some outdoor activities for some of those warm nights ahead.
Well, luckily for you, The International Dark-Sky Association, a group formed in 2001 that recognizes Dark Sky Parks around the world has just named three new locations in the Western US as extraordinary spots for stargazing.
The association defines an official Dark Sky Park as “publicly- or privately-owned spaces protected for natural conservation that implement good outdoor lighting and provide dark sky programs for visitors.”
The new parks in the US include the Tonto National Monument outside of Phoenix, Arizona, which was named on May 7, Dinosaur National Monument, which sits on the Utah-Colorado border and was recognized on April 22 — and, most recently, The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in southern Colorado, which received its classification Thursday, May 9, as the third-ever destination in the US to be named an International Dark Sky Park within the span of a month.
View this post on Instagram
Congratulations to Colorado’s @greatsanddunesnps for their designation as an International Dark Sky Park! #GreatSandDunes has a long history of conservation, going back to 1932 when it was established to protect the tallest dunes in North America. “A starlit night at Great Sand Dunes can bring opportunities for wonder, perspective, and a more intimate connection with the natural world than we have in the daytime,” says park ranger Patrick Myers. Check the link in bio for more info! 📸: NPS/Patrick Myers. #darksky #idadarksky #findyourpark #nightsky #parkafterdark #halftheparkisafterdark #darkskypark
A post shared by International Dark-Sky Assoc. (@idadarksky) on
“It’s no surprise that Great Sand Dunes has been building a reputation for good night sky viewing,” says Great Sand Dunes Superintendent Pamela Rice in a press release. “The dry air, high elevation, and lack of light pollution all make the park an ideal dark-sky destination. We are thrilled with receiving this recognition as an International Dark Sky Park.”
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Great Sand Dunes has long been a stargazing spot for locals in the area due in part to the Sangre de Cristo mountains shielding the light pollution from cities along Colorado’s Front Range. Park officials, excited by their new partnership with The International Dark-Sky Association, are planning on celebrating the news with a ceremony later this summer. Details will be announced via the park website sometime soon.
“Great Sand Dunes has some of the darkest skies measured in the West,” says Rice. “We invite you to come out and experience this treasure for yourself.”
To find a Dark Sky Park near you to do some sky gazing, check out the International Dark-Sky Association’s interactive map.
Featured image by Matt Payne of Durango, Colorado via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.