Sun Country Forgets to Load an Entire Flight’s Luggage
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard
Less than two months after canceling a flight, stranding an entire planeload of passengers in Mexico, Sun Country is in the news again for failing an entire flight’s worth of customers. On Thursday, Sun Country flight 117 from Minneapolis/Saint Paul (MSP) landed in Las Vegas (LAS) with an empty belly; not a single checked bag had been loaded on the aircraft for the flight.
Perhaps learning from the public relations debacle of abandoning a planeload of passengers in Mexico, Sun Country responded quickly — but not overly generously — to the situation. The airline is refunding checked bag fees and offering $50 in travel vouchers to affected passengers. Passenger bags reportedly arrived in Las Vegas on Friday, a full day after passengers arrived in Vegas. Many passengers had to return to the airport to pick up their luggage.
While this was undoubtedly a hassle, hopefully some passengers were able to look on the bright side and take advantage of the baggage delay: a free shopping spree. Passengers who booked this Sun Country flight with a credit card that offers baggage delay reimbursement could have scored up to $500 for items they needed in the interim. Here are the credit cards with the best luggage delay benefit:
|Card||Length of Delay||Maximum Amount|
|Citi Prestige Card||3 hours||$500 per traveler, per trip|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve||6 hours||$100 per day for 5 days|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred Card||6 hours||$100 per day for 5 days|
|Citi Premier Card||6 hours||$100 per traveler, per trip|
|Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard||12 hours||$100 per day for 3 days|
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®