Star Alliance member Adria Airways temporarily suspends all flights amid financial struggles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Slovenian flag carrier Adria Airways has announced that it will suspend operations Sept. 24-25 due to cash flow difficulties. The Star Alliance carrier operates a fleet of 20 narrowbody aircraft to 19 destinations across Europe, including Amsterdam, Paris and Zurich from its hub in Ljubljana, Slovenia. As a Star Alliance airline, Adria allowed accrual and spending of United Airlines miles on its fllights.
The news was announced late Monday following the highly publicized suspension of operations by Thomas Cook, meaning two European airlines suspended all flights on the same day.
The airline’s financial situation worsened significantly late last week as two of its Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft were repossessed by lessor AeroCentury due to “substantial lease payment defaults”, according to a press release. Adria Airways’ management insists the suspension is temporary and is intensively searching for potential investors. The airline is owned by private investment fund 4K Invest, which sold its airline assets and has been using leased aircraft to operate flights.
Passengers travelling on Adria on Tuesday and Wednesday this week are instructed to contact Adria sales offices to reschedule flights, noting the airline intends to operate flights as normal from Thursday onwards. However, this is subject to change.
Featured photo courtesy of Riik@mctr/Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees