Star Alliance member Adria Airways temporarily suspends all flights amid financial struggles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Slovenian flag carrier Adria Airways has announced that it will suspend operations Sept. 24-25 due to cash flow difficulties. The Star Alliance carrier operates a fleet of 20 narrowbody aircraft to 19 destinations across Europe, including Amsterdam, Paris and Zurich from its hub in Ljubljana, Slovenia. As a Star Alliance airline, Adria allowed accrual and spending of United Airlines miles on its fllights.
The news was announced late Monday following the highly publicized suspension of operations by Thomas Cook, meaning two European airlines suspended all flights on the same day.
The airline’s financial situation worsened significantly late last week as two of its Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft were repossessed by lessor AeroCentury due to “substantial lease payment defaults”, according to a press release. Adria Airways’ management insists the suspension is temporary and is intensively searching for potential investors. The airline is owned by private investment fund 4K Invest, which sold its airline assets and has been using leased aircraft to operate flights.
Passengers travelling on Adria on Tuesday and Wednesday this week are instructed to contact Adria sales offices to reschedule flights, noting the airline intends to operate flights as normal from Thursday onwards. However, this is subject to change.
Featured photo courtesy of Riik@mctr/Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.