Sri Lanka Now Offering Free Visas to 30 Nationalities on Arrival
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sri Lanka will soon offer free visas to visitors from more than 30 nations, which can save the average tourist between $20 to $40 in visa fees.
Travelers can obtain their free visa to the island nation upon arrival at Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) starting May 1, 2019. Lonely Planet reports that countries with the new free visa access include the US, the UK, the EU, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and more.
Tourism to Sri Lanka has been on the rise in recent years. Lonely Planet named it the No. 1 destination to visit in 2019, and yearly arrivals in the country have soared from just 448,000 in 2009 to more than 2.1 million in 2017. The Sri Lankan government hopes to double these numbers by 2020.
The island nation, which is located off the southern tip of India, has an abundance of unique and beautiful sites and experiences for visitors to check out. Lori Zaino, a senior writer for TPG, spent a month in Sri Lanka last summer and noted that she specifically enjoyed the beaches in the south and east, the ruins of Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura, and visiting Kaudulla and Yala National Park for the elephant safaris.
“The elephants are wild,” said Zaino. “Like they roam all around Sigiriya. It’s not like Thailand with elephant ‘tourism.’”
Sri Lanka also is home to one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Check out our review on the phenomenal trip here.
The free visas will be available for a trial run of six months. If the program is successful, the government plans on extending the offer indefinitely.
Featured image by saiko3p / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.