Spotify will make you a playlist for your next road trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: 11/19/19: Spotify has enhanced the mobile capabilities and is now fully accessible via mobile device.
Sounds like music to our ears: The audio streaming platform Spotify just launched a feature that will curate a road trip soundtrack for you based on where you’re driving.
Because if you’re not listening to “Life is a Highway” while driving down, well, a highway, are you really road tripping? (No. The answer is no.)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The Verge reported that the “Soundtrack Your Ride” feature will generate a customized playlist for you. It’s based on both your Spotify history and your answers to a few questions it asks to get a better sense of your taste in music and your upcoming road trip. First, you’ll be asked to enter your start and endpoints. From there, the service will calculate the route and length of your trip using Google Maps. Spotify and Google Maps first integrated last year, following a 2017 integration with Waze, and this is the latest from the tech team-up.
As for the questions Spotify will ask, you’ll have to answer who you’re traveling with, what kind of car you drive, what your “drive vibe” is, as well as some questions about actual music. These include what your favorite genre for the road is (anything from pop and rock to hip hop, rap and EDM, and “mood” — although it’s unclear exactly what that is.)
You’ll also have to pick your “ultimate driving song.” You’ll have six choices, so choose wisely: “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen; “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton; “Ridin’ Solo” by Jason Derulo; “Life is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts; “Body Like a Back Road” by Sam Hunt; or “Sucker” by the Jonas Brothers.
From there, it will create a playlist for you with enough songs to last your entire trip without repeating, and automatically save it to your library.
We tested it out, and found the service to be pretty on-point, though not the most user-friendly to set up. For starters, you can’t access it through either the Spotify mobile or desktop app. Instead, you’ll have to navigate to this URL instead, either from your computer or phone. It worked well on desktop, but some of the answer options were cut off on mobile. Either way, it will generate the playlist for you and direct you to a custom link that you can play from any of your devices.
Before you buckle up and get going, make sure you’re paying for your Spotify membership with a card that will earn you extra bonus points on streaming services. Earning extra points during a vacation that will help fund your next one? We especially like the sound of that.
Featured image courtesy of Thomas Barwick/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees