15 Spanish airports to offer pre-departure COVID-19 testing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Some airports in Spain are making it easier for departing travelers to get their mandatory COVID-19 test. A total of 15 Spanish airports, including Barcelona and Madrid, will offer passengers testing facilities in their departure lounges.
Spanish airport operator Aena said that the new clinics will provide quick PCR, antigenic and serological tests and that there will be isolation areas for travelers awaiting their results.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
According to local news reports, the service will be available at Spain’s busiest hubs and where most of its tourism is based, such as Malaga, Seville, Mallorca and Ibiza, as well as at the Canary Islands’ four main airports.
The testing facilities will be set up for a six-month period initially, but they can be extended until the end of 2021. Right now, Americans can’t visit Spain, but as vaccines continue to rollout and travel restrictions ease, these testing center could eventually be quite helpful.
“The clinics will be in departure lounges… for passengers who will need tests in their destination airports, not for those who land in our airports, who will need to bring their tests from their places of origin to pass the health controls in place since May across our network,” Aena said in a statement.
In recent months, a number of countries have required that incoming passengers have a negative COVID-19 test result in order to enter the border. As of Jan. 26, the U.S. requires that all incoming travelers have a negative COVID-19 test, taken at most three days prior to departure.
While Spain still doesn’t allow Americans to visit the country, Aena is hoping that the new pre-departure testing capabilities will encourage tourism in the future.
Both Spain and Portugal have seen huge spikes in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks — so much so that the Portuguese government has closed its land borders with Spain for two weeks, starting Jan. 29.
So far, Spain has seen about 58,000 COVID-19-related deaths and its hospital are said to be under enormous pressure, with 44% of intensive care beds occupied by COVID-19 patients.
France 24 reported that there have also been delays in vaccine deliveries that have forced several regions, including Madrid, to stop injecting new people from priority groups, such as medics, and only administer second shots to those who have already received the first dose.
“The inability to deliver the necessary doses at the required speed has been a crushing blow, at least for health workers,” said Javier Marco, medical director of Madrid’s Isabel Zendal hospital.
He added that they felt “unprotected and at the mercy of the pandemic for an unknown length of time.”
Featured photo by ToniFlap/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.